St. John's Wort

As with this disease it must be caught in it's early stages before the cancer erupts. Once that happens, then it's too late.

There are so many things out there that are anti-viral that can be given to a chicken to erraticate viral infections.

Also there are ways to immunize without vaccinations. These are called NOSODES. However, I have not found a nosode yet that is made for chickens that is made from the marek's virus. I have emailed a few homeopathic companies hopefully someone will get a clue and make up a batch of marek's nosodes.

Quote:
Yes, once the tumors start growing it's too late. However, the hypericum can squeeze a few extra days of life out if you overdose them with it. But it's better to just put them down at that point.

Oh, that's pretty interesting. I'll have to look into that.

Quote:
Is the bird laying down a lot? Chickens are kinda like horses. When they lay down it becomes difficult for them to breathe (but they won't die if they lay down too long).

she's sitting a lot - she will try to stand and walk and does that for a bit - but then ends up sitting back down. her mobility has increased in the last few days but she continues to do the neck strecthing to breathe. it sounds like that suggests she has lesions on the lungs.

thanks everyone for your input.

kate

I don't think Marek's Disease causes lung tumors. It causes tumors on the eyes, skin, nerves, liver, heart, intestines, and bursa, but I don't think it can on the lungs.

no its not tumors in the lungs it is probably a nurilogical (sp?) issue from the mareks, did you see my video of my astralorp, does your hen stretch and gasp the way mine did? I had a necropsy done so the mareks was confirmed. Anyway that is what my vet said when he saw mine and what she was doing.

I wanted to add again to this post:

My EE who gas been on treatment is improving a little every day. I am finding that the most important thing is that they keep up a good appitite, at lease that is what I have observed. I built her a sling and am doing Pt on her leg and it is getting better, she is starting to move it more and her reflex to close her toes in a grip is returning as well. After speaking with the vet I learned some new things and discussed things I already knew from my experience.

Her joint has swelled we thought it was an infection but tests revealed it was not just very inflamed. This swelling of the joints is also a symptom of mareks.

As for nerve damage, well it too is caused by swelling around the nerve, as the pressure goes down the nerve begins to heal. This takes some time though since nerves ONLY heal 2 milimeters a month (just like in humans) which is why recovery can take a few days to a few months but is entierly possible.

For those with a chicken suffering with paralysis of aq leg I advise a sling for sure, it is so much better then letting them stay on the ground. aand alhough in the end some movement might be lossed if you do PT on the leg it should help keep it flexible and from getting stiff.

Last edited:
This is very cool to read about, I am a HUGE fan of homeopathic remedies, and wish I'd known this sooner!

The herb Hypericum would likely, in a material dose, cause symptoms that look like Marek's (that's how homeopathic remedies work), so I wouldn't use it to try to prevent or treat Marek's.

I would welcome a nosode for Marek's though...

Thanks for this posting - I think I will have to try the hypericum because it is sounding more and more like my little 4-5 month EE bantam has Merak's.

I have found a few different results when looking for the incubation period. I've had my bantam just over a month and this posting mentions a 2 week incubation (so maybe it is in my soil - probably good news for my other girls who have shown no symptoms?). But I have also seen it listed as having a 4-12 week incubation... can it vary that much?

Back
Top Bottom