St. John's Wort

We found this chick down again last night with her leg stretched out and paralyzed. I gave her the mix again and she is already up and outside in the run with her hatchmates. She cant walk well and keeps falling over but is determined! She ate scrambled eggs and drank some water and is good to go. I think this mix is a miracle and will at least give weekly after she gets back to normal. I figure if she makes it to adulthood she should be ok.

What is the recommended amount per SJW capsule? I successfully treated a wry-necked poult with 300mg SJW tablets, but I'm afraid that those might be too weak to have any effect on large fowl with Mareks.

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Last edited:
Dear volegue am facing a serious situation and I believe I will be able to find some help through your advice
I have layers at the back of my yard but currently I m facing a serious issue in which birds are getting stiff leg unable to move they stop eating the next day till they die I tried twice to open the so can see the inner part and I have found massive damage weather the heart or liver and opening the geyser I found greenish things inside dome one help plz plz

Hello to the person (moody chicken) who posted on marek disease .
i have a question about the hypericum ,you said tablet ,at my knowledge if we talk about homeopatic it's pill and not tablet ,tablet are for st johns wort which is not homeopatic,
so can confirm please if it's mistake in wording or not,
it's pretty confusding,
thanks
Patrick

Moody Chicken hasn't been on here for a long time, but it's quite clear what you are supposed to use if you read the directions. And I have had it work, more than once, although not for every case. Nuff said.

Hey,
I have a 3 month old chick that has mareks however we didn't realize till 5 days later what it was until I found this post!!!
She is still alive however she has been through some rough patches of mareks! She has to be hand feed and can't drink water on her own and she can't walk. I started treating her on the 1st November 2016 and am still treating her, she has recovered slightly as she was blind for a month but now she can see again and she is making chicken noises again( went silent for a month too)!!!
Is there still a chance that she will recover or should i cull her???
She is very active and manages to fly out of her sling we created.....
There is a massive lump that looks like a blister on the side of her neck, is that a lesion ?
Her two sisters came down with the disease but we treated them straight away and they are all up and running thank goodness however we lost a very old hen to the disease :(

Plz let me know if there is any thing else i can do for this chick as i really want to give her a fair go.

Hey,
I have a 3 month old chick that has mareks however we didn't realize till 5 days later what it was until I found this post!!!
She is still alive however she has been through some rough patches of mareks! She has to be hand feed and can't drink water on her own and she can't walk. I started treating her on the 1st November 2016 and am still treating her, she has recovered slightly as she was blind for a month but now she can see again and she is making chicken noises again( went silent for a month too)!!!
Is there still a chance that she will recover or should i cull her???
She is very active and manages to fly out of her sling we created.....
There is a massive lump that looks like a blister on the side of her neck, is that a lesion ?
Her two sisters came down with the disease but we treated them straight away and they are all up and running thank goodness however we lost a very old hen to the disease :(

Plz let me know if there is any thing else i can do for this chick as i really want to give her a fair go.

A lump on her neck doesn't sound like Marek's to me. There are a lot of things that can affect chickens neurologically. Who knows if she will recover or not. It sounds like you might be on the right path, however you are treating her. As long as she keeps improving, there's no reason not to keep trying. Good luck!

This isn't an emergency, just a helpful tidbit of information to help. Despite what you may have heard, there IS a cure for Marek's Disease. It is a homeopathic remedy called "Hypericum." Hypericum is a small creeping herb that, when used hollistically, numbs nerves and dulls pain. When given to a bird suffering from the symptoms of Marek's Disease, it will cure the bird by working on the theory that "like cures like," in other words, by giving the bird the symptoms it will take the symptoms away. I've used this herb with great success to fully cure birds of Marek's Disease. You can fnd Hypericum at health food stores, $8 for 100 tablets. Hypericum must be diluted before it can be used:

- 1 tablespoon of DISTILLED water per tablet Hypericum (must be distilled water, tap water is ionized and will deactivate the Hypericum)
- MUST be mixed in a GLASS or PLASTIC bowl (metal with react with the water and herb)
- drip 5-10 drops (bantam) or 10-15 drops (large fowl) on the afflicted bird's tongue. Be sure the bird rubs its beak together because the Hypericum MUST touch the sinuses (located on the roof of the mouth) in order to work
- treat every 12 hours (morning and night) with a fresh batch
- recovery may be as quick as 1 day or as slow as several months

The treatment works best if you begin treating early. If you delay treatment, the Hypericum may not work or it may be a very slow recovery. IF YOU OVERDOSE YOUR BIRDS ON HYPERICUM, don't worry. The bird will exhibit extreme symptoms, and make a drastic improvment within a 24 hours. Hypericum is also helpful for pain. Only treat birds that are showing symptoms.

HOW CAN I TELL IF MY BIRD HAS MAREK'S DISEASE?

Check your flock history. Marek's Disease affects birds as early as 6 months of age. Symtoms occur most commonly between 6-8 months of age; however, any age bird can become sick, it just becomes less common with age. The incubation period is 2 weeks.

SYMPTOMS INCLUDE: sudden death (fairly common), depression (common), gradual weight loss (fairly common), neck paralysis (not common), paleness (in conjunction with other symtoms), wing paralysis (common), leg paralysis (most common), star-gazing (fairly common), extreme sudden emaciation (rare), mishapen pupil (not common), gray iris (not common), crazy behavior (rare), unresponsive (common), internal tumor growth (not common), tumors on feather follicles (not common), fearful (not common)

Hope this helps someone!!!
big_smile.png
thank you

This isn't an emergency, just a helpful tidbit of information to help. Despite what you may have heard, there IS a cure for Marek's Disease. It is a homeopathic remedy called "Hypericum." Hypericum is a small creeping herb that, when used hollistically, numbs nerves and dulls pain. When given to a bird suffering from the symptoms of Marek's Disease, it will cure the bird by working on the theory that "like cures like," in other words, by giving the bird the symptoms it will take the symptoms away. I've used this herb with great success to fully cure birds of Marek's Disease. You can fnd Hypericum at health food stores, $8 for 100 tablets. Hypericum must be diluted before it can be used:

- 1 tablespoon of DISTILLED water per tablet Hypericum (must be distilled water, tap water is ionized and will deactivate the Hypericum)
- MUST be mixed in a GLASS or PLASTIC bowl (metal with react with the water and herb)
- drip 5-10 drops (bantam) or 10-15 drops (large fowl) on the afflicted bird's tongue. Be sure the bird rubs its beak together because the Hypericum MUST touch the sinuses (located on the roof of the mouth) in order to work

The treatment works best if you begin treating early. If you delay treatment, the Hypericum may not work or it may be a very slow recovery. IF YOU OVERDOSE YOUR BIRDS ON HYPERICUM, don't worry. The bird will exhibit extreme symptoms, and make a drastic improvment within a 24 hours. Hypericum is also helpful for pain. Only treat birds that are showing symptoms.

Check your flock history. Marek's Disease affects birds as early as 6 months of age. Symtoms occur most commonly between 6-8 months of age; however, any age bird can become sick, it just becomes less common with age. The incubation period is 2 weeks.

SYMPTOMS INCLUDE: sudden death (fairly common), depression (common), gradual weight loss (fairly common), neck paralysis (not common), paleness (in conjunction with other symtoms), wing paralysis (common), leg paralysis (most common), star-gazing (fairly common), extreme sudden emaciation (rare), mishapen pupil (not common), gray iris (not common), crazy behavior (rare), unresponsive (common), internal tumor growth (not common), tumors on feather follicles (not common), fearful (not common)

big_smile.png
Hi I believe my chicken has Marek's disease I took her to the vet and he said he believes she has it as well so I read your post and I went to go buy the St John's Wort and I also did my research and it said to also give vitamin C so I've been mixing them and I give it to my hand is normal for her to be as if she's gasping for air

Attachments

• IMG_20180623_013326524.jpg
    IMG_20180623_013326524.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 9

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom