St Patrick Day Hatchalong!

I just realized I unintentionally set my eggs to hatch on St. Patrick's day:) There are about to go on lockdown tomorrow and 11 of the 12 look good! I've been so excited everytime I candled them and seen movement! They are a mix of silkie/sizzle/frizzle/showgirl and two eggs from larger naked necks (third one the air cell detatched and dispite trying to position it upright, nothing ever developed) Cant wait to meet the chicks in a few days.

I’m doing lockdown tomorrow afternoon, too. I had one egg crack and ooze all on its own, so I used caution and removed that one. I’m left with 15, five of our own and ten from another local farm.

I thought I would prefer to set eggs in the morning so each day coincided with an actual day, but I think I prefer to set eggs in the afternoon. Then I’m actually free to do things like candling and lockdown when it’s time. Saturday afternoon seems to be my perfect time.

E6E69DEA-2977-43E0-92AF-B470A623DE83.jpeg
Two pipped yesterday and at 6am this little sweetheart broke out!

Well, I must have done something right this time. A little after day 20 started, the first chick made it out. Over pretty much exactly 24 hours ALL 15 hatched! I did assist one who seemed to be zipping itself a hat to wear instead of getting out of the egg, but it was ready and is doing fine. I have a real crazy mix. Three dark ones, three chipmunk, the rest varying shades of yellow including one that looks almost silver and two others with dark faces. And, y’all, the universe is talking. So we have a naked neck cockerel whose days are numbered. I haven’t been successful in selling him and I just can’t stand the thought of half our chicks being naked neck down the line. He also just isn’t what we want in other ways. So what hatches? Another naked neck! If this one is female she gets to stay. It’s just so ironic that I thought we were done with them and apparently we’re not. I don’t really think it’s our NN’s offspring, he’s only just begun to show signs of maturity; I think it came from the other farm.

Anyway, selling six this week, just have to decide which to keep.

I hope the other hatches continue progressing smoothly!
4E2D76A7-D35C-4D1A-997C-48F057BFE9AA.jpeg

Congrats on the successful hatches. What cute chicks! I had a pip last night and this morning movement of the eggs and tiny muffled peeps. So not St. Patrick's day but close. Anxiously awaiting them to come out

Well, only two chicks have hatched successfully. They all looked great, with movement and good air cells, at lockdown. I dont know what went wrong. I know its unlikely but I'm not giving up hope and seeing if by some miracle any more hatch. One was born splay legged too but a little tape and it seems as good as normal.

Attachments

• 20180319_181508.jpg
    20180319_181508.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom