Staining and painting the coop, when?

Nat and Ana

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2018
Zone 5
So we picked up a coop (My profile pic) and have yet to seal it. I bought stain and an exterior white for the inside. But it's been raining every other day since we picked it up and the wood is still damp. It's in a shaded area, so I've been waiting for it to dry out in order to stain it.
Any pointers or am I in for a long wait?
When will I know the wood is dry enough? (And I think it's going to rain again on Friday. sigh).
Thanks!!

I'm not sure when your wood will be dry enough, but once you seal it, you need 3 days of dry weather with above freezing temps. I have been waiting for 2 months or so on my duck house. :barnie At some point you just have to go for it!

I just thought about putting up one of those sun tents over the top of it... We have one that might be big enough... 2 mo is a long time!!! Thankfully I *crosses fingers* am pretty sure we're done with freezing temps for the year. :)

I just thought about putting up one of those sun tents over the top of it... We have one that might be big enough... 2 mo is a long time!!! Thankfully I *crosses fingers* am pretty sure we're done with freezing temps for the year. :)

Well... also partly dependent on my work schedule, but if it's my day off and it's snowing, I'm not outdoors painting!

Sorry to jump in, but I'm thinking of staining my coop as well, but will the stain harm the hens in anyway? I know it takes a good 3 days to dry completely. I'm staining the floor of a small coop that will be used for a hen and her chicks.

Back
Top Bottom