Stairs and ramps or How to get them up to their kiddy pool

violets812

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 6, 2012
Hi!

I bought a 3 ft tall pool but the ducks are Welsh Harlequin & they are short. What would be something they could learn to do? And lastly, what do you do to help them understand that if you do this, you'll get up to the water?

The pool is next to the deck. My husband thought they could just go up there and then it would be a 1 1/2' jump but I can't imagine that happening unless they were ducklings & their mom taught them.

Thank you for taking the time to send your suggestions!

I was doing that, too, with some large cement blocks shaped roughly like bricks, until someone said "*gasp* you can't put bricks in their water! It leaches terrible things!"
Are cinder blocks different from bricks in terms of leaching? And if they are, then where do off-white "bricks" fall?

I'd love to be comfortable going back to using bricks.

i made this ramp its has some bricks in the ramp to use less sand and some logs too, the sand is mixed gravel and sand capped on the top the ducks tend to mess it up so I fix it once a week.

I was doing that, too, with some large cement blocks shaped roughly like bricks, until someone said "*gasp* you can't put bricks in their water! It leaches terrible things!"
Are cinder blocks different from bricks in terms of leaching? And if they are, then where do off-white "bricks" fall?

Where did you find this information. I'm using bricks and cinder blocks in my ponds.

? well, whatever lol that is what i use and that is what i'll continue too. I have all Muscovy here so heavy birds, the boys will knock down weaker attempts at ledges.. ramps etc..
hu.gif

Last edited:
HI!

Thank you and yes - those are what I meant by cinder blocks although my husband says he has never heard them called that, only cement bricks. But the picture is what we might try. We're out in the country so it would be easy to find a rock for them to stand or sit on in the pool. I guess the man-made type probably does have chemicals in it but I would never have thought about it until you brought it up. Better safe than sorry - I'll use a rock for the inside.

Back
Top Bottom