Stall Dry, my new best friend...

Hi, I'm new to all this, but have heard that DE is good to get rid of fleas in your yard. Sprinkle in the grass near the house where the dogs & cats hang out, & it's supposed to do in the fleas. Anybody else heard this?
A question about coop construction. I read I should paint my coop with non-toxic Deck stain, but can't seem to find any. Any suggestions?
jumpy.gif

Went to a Tractor Supply Co. a few towns away this AM and turned the place upside down looking for their reported "2 bags in stock" of Stall Dry. Found it on a top shelf in the Equine section over a display of bridles & halters. It's in a white sack with red & black writing on it. It is about the consistency of corse pepper. I've already sprinkled about 2 cups around the temporary chicken run and inside the temporary chicken coop (igloo dog house pressed into service) and the hens are scratching away. Will report how it does with the fly issues starting to develop. The Official Coop is almost finished and I hope to have "the Girls" installed tomorrow! Don't know if the dogs will want their igloo back or not.
duc.gif

I work at a horse farm that has 28 stalls. If i wasnt for stall dry the barn would smell terrible. You can definatly tell when we are temperarly out of it because the babrn smells really bad! We just put a bunch over every pee spot and it works amazingly!

My hubby spent an hour reading labels at the hardware store and found Thompsons Water Sealer was safe for bird houses, so we decided it is safe for chicken houses as well. Then it rained, so we had to wait a day or so. A gallon was just about all we needed to paint the little chicken house. We need to let it sit for 3 days before we can finish the roof, then I guess I can decide if I want to paint it after that. Got the chicken wire today, so the "girls" should be in their new home soon.
The Stall Dry has already cut down on the flys. All the scraps I'm feeding were really beginning to draw them.
hide.gif

Intriguing... My chickens don't get too whiffy, but my pigs sure do. I may have to find some of this. Thanks everyone.

Quote:
I'm from TN but our local TSC doesn't carry either DE or Stall Dry - However, TSC does have Stall Dry available on their web site and often they offer free shipping to your local store.

As far as the DE I'm from the back woods here and most everyone I go to looking for DE asks me if I'm "an organic tree-hugger"...if they have any idea what I'm talking about at all. BUT I have found a web site for that too. It's kinda expensive to ship, but no more than say a 100 mile trip?? They usually have a 50# bag of food grade DE for under $30 and shipping is about $30 for one bag. I personally order it anyway and get help with the cost from family...we all eat about a tablespoon per day ourselves as well. Check out the site. www.earthworkshealth.com

Hope this is helpful.

You can use DE inside and outside your home and yard for excellent pest control. The more you use, the more effective it is. You can even use it in a spreader - but I don't recommend the one TSC sells as a duster cuz it gets clogged in 1/2 second flat.

You can also use DE on any animal or HUMAN with no more than 4 legs. It will de-parasite anyone including all poultry, swine, cattle, cats, dogs, etc, and people. JUST MAKE CERTAIN that if you feed it to anything or anyone, it is pure and FOOD-Grade. If not it can wreak havvoc on them if not kill them as the other stuff is usually pure, but not nearly as finely ground. DE works by litterally cutting the little wormies and insects to shreds. The non-food grade would do the same to delicate internal organs. ALSO, never ever breathe the dust as it can cause major disaster. As I mentioned earlier their is a highly informative website that sells DE. You can find out any and everything you ever want to know about DE there including testimonials from people like myself who take it. It's www.earthworkshealth.com

I'm beginning to sound like a salesperson......sorry. I'm just a huge major fan of DE.

ok, so Im lost here, so DE and Stall dry are better than PDZ??? and its not harmful to the chickens...and they wont eat it? are they pellets or sand like or powder? which is best??? sorry long night and I was trying to read each post and Im so tired.

Also Sundace:
What bottle caps or bottles?...lost me here but do share...how and what for?...thanks

Back
Top Bottom