Starting a flock

I would go with chicks
smile.png

I agree. It's so fun to watch them grow and change!
love.gif

Chicks are cheaper,easier to care for and are tamer in the long run,but they obviously do not lay right away. Chicks have not developed bad habits and are less likley to have been culled (If you buy them from a TRUSTED source) than if they were adults. Remember,some people only sell chickens becuase they do not lay or have other problems. However,if you are wanting to show chickens,adults are better,becuase you know what you are getting. They are mature and are fully grown unlike chicks,who are more of a gamble in the showing biz. Adults are more expensive,due to the feed and time the owner has put into the birds. They are not as tame as chicks would be,but most of the time (once they have settled in.) they will lay. If you have anice neighbor or a trusted friend who has chickens,you can ask them for sources of where to buy chickens. They may also breed/sell some to you!

It depends mostly on what you are going to use them for! That is the tiebreaker.

(P.s.: We started with chicks!)

Last edited:
We started with some chicks and some a couple of weeks old and a couple of 8 week olds. I have to say, the older ones are pleasant enough, but not nearly cuddly and sweet and tame as the younger ones. They are nearly 4 now and I still can't handle them much. It's hard to make up the kind of bonding that happens in the first 2 months. Even the ones that have been raised by broodies but around us have been easier to handle. This is something to take into consideration even if you aren't looking for a pet chicken type relationship. Our "wild" girls would be very difficult to handle if we ever needed to give them first aid or medicine.

We started with some chicks and some a couple of weeks old and a couple of 8 week olds. I have to say, the older ones are pleasant enough, but not nearly cuddly and sweet and tame as the younger ones. They are nearly 4 now and I still can't handle them much. It's hard to make up the kind of bonding that happens in the first 2 months. Even the ones that have been raised by broodies but around us have been easier to handle. This is something to take into consideration even if you aren't looking for a pet chicken type relationship. Our "wild" girls would be very difficult to handle if we ever needed to give them first aid or medicine.
Exactly! I agree. Some of our chickens are tame,about five willrun up to the door when I come in. Some scatter whenever I even look at them! It depends on the personality,handling and breed of the chicken that helps determine how tame they are.

Chicks are cheaper,easier to care for and are tamer in the long run,but they obviously do not lay right away. Chicks have not developed bad habits and are less likley to have been culled (If you buy them from a TRUSTED source) than if they were adults. Remember,some people only sell chickens becuase they do not lay or have other problems. However,if you are wanting to show chickens,adults are better,becuase you know what you are getting. They are mature and are fully grown unlike chicks,who are more of a gamble in the showing biz. Adults are more expensive,due to the feed and time the owner has put into the birds. They are not as tame as chicks would be,but most of the time (once they have settled in.) they will lay. If you have anice neighbor or a trusted friend who has chickens,you can ask them for sources of where to buy chickens. They may also breed/sell some to you!

It depends mostly on what you are going to use them for! That is the tiebreaker.

(P.s.: We started with chicks!)
They're cheaper until you add up the cost of all the feed you buy them before they start to lay.

They're cheaper until you add up the cost of all the feed you buy them before they start to lay.

True,but I meant initial cost. Such as time of purchase,not buying all the feed. That's why adults cost so much,because as you said, all the feed cost.
...and the equipment, brooders, lamps, chick feeders, etc.

So I ask all of you now that spring is coming. How many new chicks are you getting this year? Are you breeding or buying new stock? Are you downsizing or expanding? What are you doing with your older girls that are spent? Do you have more than one rooster or none? It really doesnt matter when you love chickens guys! Almost like buying a Hershey bar with or without almonds. Starting a flock is like being in a candy store. Every thing looks good and you cant make up your mind whether to get the good and plenty or the ju jubees! :p

Back
Top Bottom