Starting coop remodel, do I have this right?

KMHunter

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Cr
10 Years
Jun 12, 2009
Woodinville,WA
My Coop
My Coop
Ok, I have read so much on the topic of ventilation I want to know if I have this right. I plan to put some at the bottom of the coop, and 4 inches of space under the eves of the roof. I also plan on putting windows that I can open and close whenever needed. I live in the Seattle area, so it doesn't get super cold, just wet, so my coop is raised. Do I need to be able to close the area under the eves if it's protected? The 2X4 roosts will be in the middle area. Any thoughts? The house is 6'X4', 4' 6" tall.

I would always have some upper ventilation open. The main thing is that you can close off any area that could cause excessive draft across the chickens as they roost. So I would be sure that the bottom areas could be closed selectively.

Thanks Jenscott, and DawnSuiter!
There will be some covered vents along the bottom, these will have magnetic covers if needed, some windows in the middle that will can open and shut, and open vents up under the rafters with eves to protect from wind and rain, covered in hardware clothe of course.
smile.png
I just wanted to be sure I was on the right track.
big_smile.png

Edit to say: I will also have electric wire around the top and bottomof the whole coop. My husband thinks I'm going over board, I say better safe than sorry!

Last edited:
If you have a nice eave overhang...put your ventilation there and just leave it open. I would be more concerned about the lower ones....the magnetic covers do not always work well in the wet stuff...Seattle weather may create more hassle with that. if you have the eaves open and covered with hardwire cloth and windows, you have plenty of ventilation without putting any at the bottom/floor level.

Sounds like a good general setup to me
smile.png

I agree that something a little more 'positive' than magnetic covers would be desirable -- you don't want to set them in place at 8 pm on a windy rainy cold night and come out the next morning to discover they blew or slid off at 8:05
tongue.png
A wooden (or etc) flap is really easy to rig.

As for the upper vents, yeah, if you doubt you are going to have to close them, they may not need covers. Worst comes to worst, there is always Ye Olde Staplegun And Feedbag
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Do you think even with vent covers, with small intake slats, not the big ones you see on outside of houses, the rain and weather would get in? think register covers only with the slats all aiming down and a little bigger. I also plan on putting screen on the inside. Yes? No? Maybe?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom