Starting my Phoenix quail adventure

ChickaChickaBoomBoom

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Chandler, AZ
Hello :)

Just re-introducing myself. I've posted in the past 10 years about my backyard chickens and later my backyard muscovies in the Seattle area, but my wife and I have relocated to Phoenix in the past two years or so and I've been wanting to get some backyard pets again. I'm thinking with a small lot in a subdivision in Chandler that chickens are a no-go but some sort of inspiration hit me about 10 days ago and I decided to try my hand at raising a few backyard quail.

I built a small 2'x6'x2' enclosure on the east side of our home which will give it shade from about midday on. I've been slowly growing a container garden on that side of our house and I think the quail will make a nice addition to my private space. There are so many birds chirping in the area that I'm guessing (hoping) that the neighbor doesn't even know what I'm doing.

The pics show the enclosure almost finished. I have to finish adding some hardware and touch up a few things as well. I've since added an inexpensive misting system to the top of the run area for the hottest days, which I hope will keep them comfortable. Inside, there are a few plants that I planted into the ground - I trimmed the base hardware cloth to make room, so hopefully that'll help protect the roots. If not, most of my plant purchases are from the Lowe's $1/$3/$5 discount shelves, and these two plants were purchased last year for $1 each so no big deal. The run area also has a large rock, some pieces of palm tree bark, and (not shown) a half a plastic planter cut in half with the bottom removed so they can run through or hide. Inside the enclosed area is sand, while the run is just dirt for now.

I still need to make some covers for protection but it's comfortable right now so I can do it in a week or so. I also need to put my temporary homemade food and water containers inside. Beyond that, any suggestions or observations are appreciated.

I'm hoping to get 3-4 female coturnix tomorrow from a guy in Phoenix. We'll see how it goes. Looking forward to learning from the group (again).

-Dave
IMG_5346.PNG
IMG_5348.PNG
IMG_5344.PNG
IMG_5345.PNG
IMG_5347.PNG
IMG_5346.PNG
IMG_5348.PNG
IMG_5344.PNG
IMG_5345.PNG
IMG_5347.PNG

It's a cute little enclosure! Be very sure it's predator-proof, though. Quail are stupid little hamburgers if you're a raccoon.
I'd also toss in something they can hide under. Some fake Christmas tree branches might be good. Think shrubby brush like wild quail hide under. They might also appreciate something solid on the roof so they feel like they have more cover.

Thanks. I have no shortage of palm fronds so can probably just lay some across the top and even the sides as needed. I could probably do something similar on the inside with a portion of one.

I need to finish adding the locks but it's entirely enclosed in 1/2" hardware cloth or plywood, even the bottom. Crossing fingers....

Looks right for 3-4 hens :thumbsup. Planting around the pen is a good idea, gives them some shelter (and, eventually, something to peck at). Make sure nothing but you can lift the lid—a pair of raccoons or a nosy dog will get inside without a lock.

Looks right for 3-4 hens :thumbsup. Planting around the pen is a good idea, gives them some shelter (and, eventually, something to peck at). Make sure nothing but you can lift the lid—a pair of raccoons or a nosy dog will get inside without a lock.

Thanks :) Ya, I have the locks to install this morning. Probably should get busy - it's not getting any cooler out. lol

BEA5A34C-81A1-4FDE-895F-E82886C7021F.png
C0789B0F-5219-4E8E-A309-ED8ED2FE507C.png
E21B093B-4302-445A-8ECF-571CAE0D75AD.png
I picked up 4 quail today from a gentleman on Craigslist. I requested 4 female Coturnix but after driving 30 miles across the city, I got four (three shown) and he couldn’t guarantee they were all female. Ugh. They were what he brought when we met. I decided to take my chances as I had already driven there and there aren’t any other options currently.

It became apparent about five minutes after I started driving that I have a male. Not the end of the world but I really don’t want the noise and attention. Already our dog is on high alert at the gate every time he crows. I might try to rehome him ASAP.

The other three seem pretty chill as they get comfortable in their new home. I added quite a bit of brush from some trimming of a tree/Bush thing and I covered the top with old palm fronds.

I’ve attached a pic of the three that I believe are females. Any feedback on sex or type?

Thank you :)

PS I need to figure out how to stop posting dupes.

Hello :)

Just re-introducing myself. I've posted in the past 10 years about my backyard chickens and later my backyard muscovies in the Seattle area, but my wife and I have relocated to Phoenix in the past two years or so and I've been wanting to get some backyard pets again. I'm thinking with a small lot in a subdivision in Chandler that chickens are a no-go but some sort of inspiration hit me about 10 days ago and I decided to try my hand at raising a few backyard quail.

I built a small 2'x6'x2' enclosure on the east side of our home which will give it shade from about midday on. I've been slowly growing a container garden on that side of our house and I think the quail will make a nice addition to my private space. There are so many birds chirping in the area that I'm guessing (hoping) that the neighbor doesn't even know what I'm doing.

The pics show the enclosure almost finished. I have to finish adding some hardware and touch up a few things as well. I've since added an inexpensive misting system to the top of the run area for the hottest days, which I hope will keep them comfortable. Inside, there are a few plants that I planted into the ground - I trimmed the base hardware cloth to make room, so hopefully that'll help protect the roots. If not, most of my plant purchases are from the Lowe's $1/$3/$5 discount shelves, and these two plants were purchased last year for $1 each so no big deal. The run area also has a large rock, some pieces of palm tree bark, and (not shown) a half a plastic planter cut in half with the bottom removed so they can run through or hide. Inside the enclosed area is sand, while the run is just dirt for now.

I still need to make some covers for protection but it's comfortable right now so I can do it in a week or so. I also need to put my temporary homemade food and water containers inside. Beyond that, any suggestions or observations are appreciated.

I'm hoping to get 3-4 female coturnix tomorrow from a guy in Phoenix. We'll see how it goes. Looking forward to learning from the group (again).

-Dave View attachment 1736711 View attachment 1736713 View attachment 1736714 View attachment 1736715 View attachment 1736716 View attachment 1736711 View attachment 1736713 View attachment 1736714 View attachment 1736715 View attachment 1736716

Hello neighbor! We live in Gilbert and recently adopted 5 quail that needed a home. I was planning on trying a fan and frozen water bottles to keep them cool. Did you make your misting system off your drip irrigation system?

Back
Top Bottom