Starting my Phoenix quail adventure

Hello neighbor! We live in Gilbert and recently adopted 5 quail that needed a home. I was planning on trying a fan and frozen water bottles to keep them cool. Did you make your misting system off your drip irrigation system?

Hey there :) No, I actually bought a cheap system from Lowe's that I'll turn on manually as needed once it's hotter. For now I'm not planning to use a fan but that can change depending on how things go. I did put a gallon freezer bag of frozen water in their enclosure at lunch time today so they can gather around if needed, but IgorsMistress here on the boards lives in the area and suggested that a few saucers of water and perhaps a spot wetted good in the morning that'll be cool and damp by afternoon works good for her. I think I'll do that instead of the frozen bag is it's sort of rigid and takes up a lot of space.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you!

Hey there :) No, I actually bought a cheap system from Lowe's that I'll turn on manually as needed once it's hotter. For now I'm not planning to use a fan but that can change depending on how things go. I did put a gallon freezer bag of frozen water in their enclosure at lunch time today so they can gather around if needed, but IgorsMistress here on the boards lives in the area and suggested that a few saucers of water and perhaps a spot wetted good in the morning that'll be cool and damp by afternoon works good for her. I think I'll do that instead of the frozen bag is it's sort of rigid and takes up a lot of space.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you!

I put small containers of ice water in their coops yesterday. They pecked at it first, drank some then walked thru it -repeatedly-quail train style! Was adorable to watch.
I also had a fan going for them and didn’t see any panting. Right now they are on our patio while we finish their permanent home. The dogs are an issue so we are going to put the coops inside a covered dog kennel.

I put small containers of ice water in their coops yesterday. They pecked at it first, drank some then walked thru it -repeatedly-quail train style! Was adorable to watch.
I also had a fan going for them and didn’t see any panting. Right now they are on our patio while we finish their permanent home. The dogs are an issue so we are going to put the coops inside a covered dog kennel.

I’ll have to try out a dish of water.

Quail are stupid little hamburgers if you're a raccoon.
So true! Even though its awful in reality, describing it that way gave me a laugh :)

Op nice area! I think they will be cool enough im in n.m. where it gets lots of days above 100 and a few above 110, i keep some of my quail where they start getting shade about 12 on, i t hink for extra shade im going to plant some tall sunflowers in front of them too.
I think yours will be really happy in what you built, sounds like they have plenty of sand which is their favorite thing.
And the rosemary by their pen will help them feel secure too, and help with coolness. Mine love eating different herbs so you could plant some more close around so they can grow thru the wire for the quail to eat, mine love dill, parsley and lemon balm the best, (and stuff like spinach would work too)

Back
Top Bottom