Starting pigeon loft! Any help pr advice will be appreciated

brotherrust37

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2022
Hey guys im really happy to be here. Ive decided i want to have my own pigeon loft after years of watching videos and reading about them.

I have enough room to build a loft measuring 4m x 2.2m x 2.5m or 13ft x 7ft x 8ft.. i just need help with the design (eg how many rooms to have, how big each room should be) and how many pigeons can comfortably fit in there? Im thinking to start with a couple of pairs and build my own numbers over time. Or should i just buy all young onws and train them

Also i have trees surronding the backyard, will this be a problem for the pigeons finding the loft from the sky and training them? Where the loft will be will have a clear access to the sky but there are big tree and branch surrounds

Finally any other advice or tips you can give for starting a loft from scratch would be much appreciated

Thanks everyone ☺

Hey guys im really happy to be here. Ive decided i want to have my own pigeon loft after years of watching videos and reading about them.

I have enough room to build a loft measuring 4m x 2.2m x 2.5m or 13ft x 7ft x 8ft.. i just need help with the design (eg how many rooms to have, how big each room should be) and how many pigeons can comfortably fit in there? Im thinking to start with a couple of pairs and build my own numbers over time. Or should i just buy all young onws and train them

Also i have trees surronding the backyard, will this be a problem for the pigeons finding the loft from the sky and training them? Where the loft will be will have a clear access to the sky but there are big tree and branch surrounds

Finally any other advice or tips you can give for starting a loft from scratch would be much appreciated

Thanks everyone ☺
So sorry no one has responded yet. I am sorry since I personally don’t own or have any experience with pigeons, therefore I don't really have any helpful advice for you. 😫 My post should bump this thread up on the list so hopefully someone experienced can help you soon! Good luck and keep me updated!

So sorry no one has responded yet. I am sorry since I personally don’t own or have any experience with pigeons, therefore I don't really have any helpful advice for you. 😫 My post should bump this thread up on the list so hopefully someone experienced can help you soon! Good luck and keep me updated!

Ive been hoping for someone to give me some guidance 🙏

Thanks everyone ☺
In my experience the trees the pigeons will learn where the door is very quickly, the trees will also give them coverage from predators such as Hawks.
Pigeons seem to prefer flat surfaces to perched such as wide Wooden planks and tables/ boxes ect.
My pigeons love a large water bowl or two to bath and then sun back to dry off.

Sorry I can’t think of anything els off of the top of my head but good luck with ur birds and ur loft!

In my experience the trees the pigeons will learn where the door is very quickly, the trees will also give them coverage from predators such as Hawks.
Pigeons seem to prefer flat surfaces to perched such as wide Wooden planks and tables/ boxes ect.
My pigeons love a large water bowl or two to bath and then sun back to dry off.

Sorry I can’t think of anything els off of the top of my head but good luck with ur birds and ur loft!
Thats pretty re assuring to know about the trees. Would the trees make loft flying and trap training the young birds more difficult ?

Thats pretty re assuring to know about the trees. Would the trees make loft flying and trap training the young birds more difficult ?
Actually an advantage,,, let me explain trap training.
When your young pigeons are about 1 month old, you can start letting them out,,, (hungry of course) They will not fly very far at this stage of life, just into the close by trees, and rooftops. You do not let out mom and dad at this point.
You prepare pigeon feed at this point, and place inside your aviary where it is visible. Your trap should be on the wall of the aviary. Good to drop some grains on the landing board of trap. Once you placed the feed, and grains on the board,,, figure out a calling signal you will use. Whatever you choose to do,, always do same every time.
I personally had a ringing bell similar to what would be on a bicycle. Mine was from a people door ringing chime,,, instead of using an electric door bell.
A metal coffee can with a dozen nails, when shaken also makes a common signaling device. Some peeps choose to use whistles, or whistled with their lips.
Whatever you train them with, just keep using same.

The best advice I can give is make your loft as predator proof as possible.
the hawks WILL find a way to get at the pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom