State Requirements for Shipping Eggs

Araucana Nest

FreeBird
Aug 14, 2020
North Central Florida
Would like to share the information that I received this week as I manage my new experience with shipping eggs (primarily) and chicks.

Every state except AK, OR, RI, TN, and WY, requires the sender to have NPIP/AI clearance from their state. The ones that don't may require a health certificate accompanying the eggs/ chicks or certain blood tests.
Many states that require NPIP/AI clearance also require a permit.... even for eggs. :barnieOne state - GA - requires a health certificate for eggs. :idunno

This explains why the majority of boxes of hatching eggs I received in years past were not marked. The sellers may not have had clearance to ship into Florida (which is one of the worst for entry requirements).

It's time consuming to get permitted by each state individually but comes with the territory so to speak. Be prepared. Very few things one can get involved with that don't have extra fee/ permit/ tax and/ or test hurdles to jump through.

Check your state entry requirements

http://www.poultryimprovement.org/documents/RequirementContactNumber.pdf

Updating after speaking with my Florida AG rep.: the NPIP database of state requirements is not up to date. Only about 6 states (she couldn't remember which but I'm sure I'll find out).

Georgia, turns out, only requires the 9-3 and not all the ridiculous stuff that is on that database.

Back
Top Bottom