STAY AWAY FROM CHICKEN SALOON

a little update...after a week of calling chicken saloon they called us back. We told them what was going on and they asked us to take pictures of all the broken parts and send it to them. They said they would then send us replacement parts.
It certainly doesn't make up for the shoddy quality of the coop but it does make me feel a bit better that they will at least try to take care of their customers.

i just got my coop from chicken saloon what a piece of crap. wish i had read these post sooner. i would send it back but to much hassle so hubby and son will fix it and make ti better. DO NOT USE THESE PRODUCTS

Thank you so much for your review. I was about to order one, but started feeling less confident about the video they have on line, plus the price for the size. I still like the design so much, but lack the time to build.

We purchased the Ranch about 1 year ago. We live in Louisiana where it rains often. We did find one small leak in a nesting box so we chalked it. We also saw the hinges were cheap so we upgraded them and made the big door stronger by backing it with plywood. We also screwed down the entire run onto fence posts and set the entire coop onto a cement base/cement pavers...we use sand in the run and hay and newspapers in the coop. We have done fine with our 6 hens. We figured based on the measurements 10-15 chickens was too much....common sense!! We are both disabled and elderly and this was the best bet for us! We contacted carpenters and it would have cost a great deal more to get what we have! We just ordered the Tavern because we have to bantam hens....we will fix it the same way. To us the coops were worth the money!

I know these posts are old, but I'm so glad I saw them. I think it makes more sense for my husband to build one himself. We are in a hurry but I doubt any of these coops will meet our expectations. Especially since my husband is skilled as a carpenter. Thanks everyone for your posts.

same way for the cheapos sold at TSC.. Now if you keep them under say a carport or tent they may last a little longer. CHEAP crap and definitely cheapos used rolled roofing to no real opening windows in the coop......exaggerated how many chicken it will house...Maybe a couple of quails,,,I bought you sets of the TSC sold coops and "runs",, Dumb buy. Oh also maybe okay for say 6 chicks for a few weeks..LOL
thanks just a saying

Just out of interest because I live in Aus and have a nice coop we built, after coming across this thread on a quiet day at work and lots of BYC surfing, I went to the Chicken Saloon site to check out the coops which people are apparently not very happy with.

Math was not my best subject in school but even I know that $449.95 minus $100 ‘Instant Savings’ is not $424.95
wink.png

On the main page ‘The Tavern’ is advertised as housing 3-5 Chickens but if you go into the expanded details it mentions 4-6 large chickens:

The Saloon is advertised as housing 2-4 chickens.

So, for good measure, lets say the Saloon houses 3 chickens and the Tavern 4 chickens.

Using the measurements provided on site:
The Saloon measures Measures: 76″ long 35″wide 39″tall
The Tavern measures Measures: 98″L x 41″W x 61″H

So, by that reckoning a large chicken only needs 22 inches long and 6 inches wide?

I did not look at the Schoolhouse, Barn or Rambler because they were slightly different designs but I did then go to the Ranch which is advertised as housing 10-15 chickens.

The Ranch measures Measures: 143”long x 68″wide x 67″tall

That is pretty close to double the size of the Saloon which houses 2-4 chickens but the Ranch is advertised as housing 10-15 chickens.

I am not going to work out how many inches that gives each additional chicken on the Saloon v Ranch but suffice to say it ain't gunna be much
wink.png

And to close, because some work has come across my desk
wink.png
Keeping it simple and focusing on the Ranch, lets be generous and for ease of math, say 10 chickens that means each chicken would have an area 14 inches long by 6.8 inches wide
ep.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for all your posts. My husband being the perfectionist has already dumped $1000.00 into our new coop. Of course he said he needed a few new tools too, lol. But I'm so glad we are building rather than buying. Now he can't complain that the wood and fixtures are cheap and not the way he wants it. I just wish it was finished.

It took my Hubby quite a while to get the RV coop finsihed... the new gals were in a smaller coop he had built earler they were almost full grown then Plus it was getting hotter outside.
I have never added up the old boat trailer, new tires weling of the trailer tonque to strength it...,plywood walls and flooring 2 by 4 s,roll or two of aluminum coil stock, all alum corrugated roofing(special ordered), used windows.. used door, two windows were free... the big fiberglass trays, the big alum baking trays, hwe cloth, screws, special siding screws... He already had the tools already had the telephone used for the ramp steps....
so yeah it adds up but made it worth while how nice it is...
good luck

Back
Top Bottom