Still feeling confused about space requirements

I just finished a new coop I built for my girls. When I first got my flock I inherited 8 hens from my neighbors when the moved along with the hens they gave me the run and coop they built. They had 8 hens in a 4x4 coop with no ventilation. I made as many modifications as I could get get through the winter and then I worked over the winter to build them a new 4x12 coop. Actually finally just got it out of the garage this past weekend and pre-assembled on the driveway. You can see what I did here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...oved-out-of-the-garage.1238555/#post-19875474

As a new chicken owner who bought a prefab, I can definitely tell you that they do not have enough space. We already have had to extend the run and are planning to build a new coop next year. Luckily, we only have 4 chickens and the coop said it was for 8 to 10, so if you halve that (which is more accurate), ours just fit, but it isn't going to work long term. I can't imagine if I had bought the one that was for 4 to 5 chickens!!

4 square feet per bird is a good recommendation and a good rule of thumb, however, I would say it is just that. Don't kill yourself trying to get there. For example, in your situation, I wouldn't really try to get to 40 square feet. I would be happy, and the birds would be happy, with 32 square feet. I say this because it allows me to build a coop with a 4x8 floor, which is a single piece of plywood. Make having chickens fun and easy, not hard.
Ehhhh.....maybe, but often not.

It can depend on your climate, and your run(how weather proofed it is) and how you manage manure. But crowded birds are NOT happy, and often unhealthy, both or either of those should make the keeper unhappy also.

Don't scrimp on space, or the cost of it....you'll be regretful down the road.
But there really are no hard numbers that fit all situations.

Here's good outlook on space:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/how-much-room-do-chickens-need.66180/

Prefab coops should be outlawed. Just today, I read a new thread by a person who introduced some chicks to her older birds. It was a prefab coop situation, and she was going by her interpretation of manufacturer recommendation. Her chicks were cannibalized.

The minimum recommendations for a back yard flock are just that: MINIMUM. Providing less space may work for a while... until it doesn't. When that day comes that it does not work, you will have blood shed on your hands. All of which can be prevented by providing adequate space in the first place. IMO, if space is limited, flock size should be limited until space and flock size are in agreement with each other.

Just today, I read a new thread by a person who introduced some chicks to her older birds. It was a prefab coop situation, and she was going by her interpretation of manufacturer recommendation. Her chicks were cannibalized.
Integration takes extra space...and some other not so common chicken sense.

Back
Top Bottom