Still questioning genders. 16w update PLZ HELP

Mae98

Chirping
Apr 14, 2023
I’m still having troubles deciding genders on these three. Their behaviors make me second guess.
I’m fairly certain our black frizzle is male due to the white feathering on his neck, however not crowing and has never gotten in a scuffle with my confirmed rooster, and they almost seem to always be next to eachother(confirmed roo in back of photo 3)
IMG_4644.jpeg IMG_4649.jpeg IMG_4650.jpeg

And then my two showgirls that I have gone back and forth on SOOOO many times. Kenny appears to have sickle feathers, but has yet to crow and has a smaller comb than Dolly. However, Dolly does not have these sickle feathers but has a bigger comb. They stick together in the flock which makes me think pullet and roo. Have never seen Kenny get aggressive, have seen Dolly get aggressive with one of my pullets multiple times.

Kenny
IMG_4667.jpeg IMG_4534.jpeg IMG_4661.jpeg
IMG_4541.jpeg
Dolly
IMG_4635.jpeg IMG_4630.jpeg IMG_4633.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m still having troubles deciding genders on these three. Their behaviors make me second guess.
I’m fairly certain our black frizzle is male due to the white feathering on his neck, however not crowing and has never gotten in a scuffle with my confirmed rooster, and they almost seem to always be next to eachother(confirmed roo in back of photo 3)
View attachment 3569815View attachment 3569816View attachment 3569817

And then my two showgirls that I have gone back and forth on SOOOO many times. Kenny appears to have sickle feathers, but has yet to crow and has a smaller comb than Dolly. However, Dolly does not have these sickle feathers but has a bigger comb. They stick together in the flock which makes me think pullet and roo. Have never seen Kenny get aggressive, have seen Dolly get aggressive with one of my pullets multiple times.

Kenny
View attachment 3569820View attachment 3569828View attachment 3569822
View attachment 3569833
Dolly
View attachment 3569825View attachment 3569823View attachment 3569824
They look cute black frizzle looks a male personality
But he’s not having comb or I can’t see it must be walnut comb

They look cute black frizzle looks a male personality
But he’s not having comb or I can’t see it must be walnut comb
The black frizzle has just a smooth bump for a comb. And really no waddles. Comparing to my other roo. And the two are actually roosted next to each other in the coop right now IMG_4231.jpeg

I think the Black Frizzle is a pullet and the other two are cockerels, not certain though.
Would the white feathers on the hackle not be a male color trait? That has really been the biggest thing that makes me think he/she may be roo

Is the known cockerel doing the rooster dance and mating? If so, the objects of his affection are likely pullets. That's one way to tell. Not entirely foolproof but it could give you an idea.

The black one looks masculine to me, but you say it has a small comb and gets along well with the other boy. The silver feathers on its hackle will not tell its sex, but if you see that color in the saddle area or on the shoulders, then that means it is a boy. But I am not seeing that. So maybe it's just a masculine looking pullet.

The buff ones are tricky as well-- the combs are kind of in between. I think these could go either way and you're gonna have to wait until they crow or lay to tell. Some birds are just like that, especially silkies and silkie crosses. That is why folks on here often send in for genetic testing if they want to know the genders early.

Wish I could be more helpful.

Is the known cockerel doing the rooster dance and mating? If so, the objects of his affection are likely pullets. That's one way to tell. Not entirely foolproof but it could give you an idea.

The black one looks masculine to me, but you say it has a small comb and gets along well with the other boy. The silver feathers on its hackle will not tell its sex, but if you see that color in the saddle area or on the shoulders, then that means it is a boy. But I am not seeing that. So maybe it's just a masculine looking pullet.

The buff ones are tricky as well-- the combs are kind of in between. I think these could go either way and you're gonna have to wait until they crow or lay to tell. Some birds are just like that, especially silkies and silkie crosses. That is why folks on here often send in for genetic testing if they want to know the genders early.

Wish I could be more helpful.
I have seen the known rooster dance at almost all the chickens in the flock, not attempting to mount yet though. Thank you for your feedback! Just wanted to find out so I could depart with my Roos before I got attached. But I’m thinking you’re right and I’m going to have to wait until a crow or an egg as these three chickens have seemed to stump everyone.

Back
Top Bottom