stolen chickens??

mmpmelmack

Hatching
12 Years
May 15, 2007
baltimore, ohio
At some point yesterday a fox or dog got at least one chicken, and injured another ( our roo:( ). So we locked up our 14 chickens last night and counted twice! when i went to let them out this morning there were only 13! There are no spots big enough to get a chicken out of the coop, all the doors were locked up tight, there were no tunnels, and no blood....did someone steal my chicken? Help? what do I do about stolen chickens?

Melissa
down to 13 chickies!

Melissa, welcome! Sorry to hear about your girl, and hope your roo is on the mend! Are your survivors currently `out' in a protected run, or are they free ranging? If you are sure you were hit by a dog/fox yesterday - it will probably be back for more so take the necessary precautions!

Now, as far as your poor hen that apparently went discorporate in the night (vanishing from a secured coop) well, you know your neighbors and neighborhood. I'm kinda curious about a thief with a one hen limit, however (not saying it couldn't be done - heck, a Longhorn bull went missing on our road on friday - not everyday you see that sort of thing in the lost/found section of the Sunday paper).

Keep an outside light on and keep the chooks in a fenced run when you're not at home (if you really suspect human predation consider investing in a wireless motion detection triggered camera - getting very cheap).

Glad to have you on board, keep us posted!!

Good luck,
John

Well, we are done another chicken. We put up a game camera, and it didnt see anything, we also put an alarm on the gate, and put a padlock on the people door. it must be an animal, I just dont know how they are getting them out of the coop. we are going to reposition the camera tonight. If any one has any ideas I would love to hear them!

Thanks
Melissa
down to 12 chickies

Don't know how big your chicken enclosure is, or how you're set up, but are you SURE she's not there?? We've had a hen dissapear for one or two days, and then re-appear; this has happened more than once. Don't know if they go broody and go into hiding and then give up or something happens,so they come back, or maybe yours is scared or injured, and is hiding. Also, if you have a hen that is injured or sick and is sleeping on a low roost or the ground, it is possible that a rat could get it, if it's a small hen, and you might not immediately notice any access points. You can try going around the outside of the coop with a flashlight at night; see if you can detect any holes by the light shining in.

Also, (and I'm sorry cause this is gross and unpleasant); a lot of predators don't bother to take the chicken away; they just eat them right there and there's not enough left over a lot of times to notice at first glance; I mean, they eat EVERYTHING except a few feathers; we've had that happen too....

Well....We finally located the problem! I very large racoon has taken up residence above our chickens...my DH is taking care of the darn thing now! So hopefully this will end our stolen chicken problems! Thanks for all your help!

Melissa
12 chickies and more on the way!

A racoon getting a little too convienent meal whenever it feels like it eh? Make little coon skin hats for all the chickens to wear!
big_smile.png
Oh that's awful, sorry!
roll.png

I had a raccoon get in my pen several years ago and kill 6 of my chickens and just left them laying on the ground. I finally found out it was squeezing in between the gate and the top of the run. I placed a fence pole across and stopped that. I hope its nite nite rocky raccoon!!!!!

Our border collies, cow working stock, are wonderful about guarding the chickens. After our one loss, we had to move my old dog's house over by the chicken pen. She would not sleep anywhere else. From our game camera, we know she patrols about 3-4 times a night. Surpising strange cats in the yard is such fun.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom