Store bought egg experiment

I think this chart shows what would happen when two F1 generation sex-linked chickens are crossed -- resulting F2 generation can include either red or white males and either red or white females, all in approximately equal numbers, so about 25% red males, 25% white males, 25% red females and 25% white females:

View attachment 3331766

But, obviously the parents of these eggs are not known for sure, may not be an F1xF1 red sex-linked cross, could be red sex-linked F1 hens crossed back with a red purebred/non-hybrid/non-sex linked male and in that case this page has information on what would happen then -- probably all reddish colored chicks, but maybe of varying shades of red/brown/mahogany. If hens were red sex-linked and rooster something other than white sex-linked or red purebred, various other things can happen with offspring colors:

https://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/sex-linked-crosses-and-their-offspring/

Neat experiment, will be interesting to see offspring if any hatch. I didn't think refrigerated eggs could hatch, at least not if refrigerated for very long.
The sex chart using XX to denote female and XY to denote male is correct for mammals, including humans, but not birds.
Birds are ZW for female and ZZ for male - so if you're used to mammalian genetics it feels backwards.

The sex chart using XX to denote female and XY to denote male is correct for mammals, including humans, but not birds.
Birds are ZW for female and ZZ for male - so if you're used to mammalian genetics it feels backwards.
Thanks. Do you know if the information shown in that chart/Punnett squares/basic Mendelian genetics are still applicable to this particular situation, just with the different letters for birds? I'm kind of thinking yes, since Mendel discovered that experimenting with pea plants, not even any kind of animal and sex-linked chicken breeds appear to inherit this trait in the same way.

Ok, so they would just look the same but they wouldn't be sex-linked.
Those eggs are from hens that lay brown eggs. The hens could be red sex links, black sex links, some type of production reds, or any breed that lays brown eggs. I knew a lady that was breeding for a new color/pattern of Ameraucana and sold her excess eggs so they could come from a brown egg laying flock that a breeder is working on. The rooster could be any breed or mix. The only way I know of to find out is to find out who is supplying Trader Joe's with those eggs and talk to the supplier but there is a good chance Trader Joe's has more than one supplier. I'm assuming Trader Joe's since that is in the carton.

Several years ago there was a thread on here about hatching Trader Joe's eggs. I did a quick search and found these threads. You might find some of them interesting.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/9192468/?q=trader,+joe&c[title_only]=1&o=relevance

So you’re doing this from refrigerated eggs?! 😃
The further you are away from ideal storage conditions (55 degrees F or 13 C and high humidity) the faster eggs can lose hatchability. They are typically not turned either. Refrigerators may not be the best choice for storing eggs for many people but for some they may be. If you don't have air conditioning in the summer they may cook if you leave them out. Some of them can last quite a while in the fridge, others can't.

You have no idea how old store eggs are but they should be kept cool. Your state or whatever government you have if you are not in the US probably has some requirements for that. If you look through those threads above you'll see that some people had really high hatch rates and some had horrible rates.

Good luck. I'm waiting to see the photos when they hatch.

How eggciting!! I had incubated some store bought quail eggs a few years back. 3 of 6 were fertile! Watching!

I would guess probably ISA Browns or some other red sex link or maybe production red. But red sex links don’t breed true so they wouldn’t be sex linked like the parents but yeah.

If they wouldn't be sex linked would you happen to know what they look like?

Those eggs are from hens that lay brown eggs. The hens could be red sex links, black sex links, some type of production reds, or any breed that lays brown eggs. I knew a lady that was breeding for a new color/pattern of Ameraucana and sold her excess eggs so they could come from a brown egg laying flock that a breeder is working on. The rooster could be any breed or mix. The only way I know of to find out is to find out who is supplying Trader Joe's with those eggs and talk to the supplier but there is a good chance Trader Joe's has more than one supplier. I'm assuming Trader Joe's since that is in the carton.
Thanks. The quoted information above your quote is the reason I looked up information on red sex-linked chickens and what they can produce if bred to each other and to a red purebred rooster, since those two possibilities, especially the latter, seems the most likely scenario from the farm which produced these eggs. Of course there are many other possibilities as far as the parents as you pointed out, but since red sex-linked seems most likely, that's what I looked up. Also because it's interesting to me to find out what color and other possibilities there are from various matings. :)

Back
Top Bottom