Store bought egg experiment

I know, I didn't expect any to survive so I was surprised when I realized I had two!

Rhode Island Reds?

I don’t think real RIR. RIR are an older breed that doesn’t lay > 300 egg a year and it therefore not commercially interesting to keep. Organic farmers need to make a living just as well as factory farmers.
Candled the eggs today. I think Scout(store bought egg) has died. I am not sure if the Easter egger is alive either but I will keep up hope for both.
It’s not a very good idea to hatch a single chick without a broody/company.
Can you buy some chicks if this one hatches on his own? Or buy more eggs asap from a byc keeper with a rooster that doesn’t put the eggs in the fridge.

Wonder why they do that in the US. Eggs don’t need fridge temp to store them.

It’s not a very good idea to hatch a single chick without a broody/company.
Can you buy some chicks if this one hatches on his own? Or buy more eggs asap from a byc keeper with a rooster that doesn’t put the eggs in the fridge.

I might be able to buy some, I have a rooster so I could hatch more of my eggs but they would be almost two weeks apart.

The US Department of Agriculture require that eggs be washed and refrigerated.
The washing is meant to remove salmonella.
Because washing also removes the bloom from the outside of the egg, they need to be refrigerated from then on.

That is obviously not the only way to keep eggs safe, but it is the one that the US decided to require.

Refrigerated eggs also stay "fresh" longer, so they can sell older eggs and we can eat older eggs. That clearly helps the egg producers and the grocery stores, although I'm not sure whether the people eating the eggs would consider that a benefit!

An internet search turned up many pages that say more-or-less that, in many more words.
Here is a typical example:
https://www.statefoodsafety.com/Resources/Resources/why-do-americans-put-eggs-in-the-fridge

The US Department of Agriculture require that eggs be washed and refrigerated.
The washing is meant to remove salmonella.
Because washing also removes the bloom from the outside of the egg, they need to be refrigerated from then on.

That is obviously not the only way to keep eggs safe, but it is the one that the US decided to require.

Refrigerated eggs also stay "fresh" longer, so they can sell older eggs and we can eat older eggs. That clearly helps the egg producers and the grocery stores, although I'm not sure whether the people eating the eggs would consider that a benefit!

An internet search turned up many pages that say more-or-less that, in many more words.
Here is a typical example:
https://www.statefoodsafety.com/Resources/Resources/why-do-americans-put-eggs-in-the-fridge
In Europe the eggs are sold from the shelf with bloom. This doesn’t cause salmonella poisonings otherwise we would fo the same in the EU. There is a THT (at least until consumption date) on it to keep it safe.
I bought these THT. 6 December eggs almost 2 weeks ago.
360B7970-C4A0-4C0A-9936-5B2534AFB38D.jpeg

Btw My bantams stopped laying now.

I might be able to buy some, I have a rooster so I could hatch more of my eggs but they would be almost two weeks apart.
I wouldn't advice to add newly hatched to a 2 week old chick. You can start with see not touch. If the newborns are a week or two, you can integrate them if there are places to hide for the little ones.

Imho. Better like this then having a solitary who certainly has trouble to find her/his way in to you’re current flock.

Candled the eggs today. I think Scout(store bought egg) has died. I am not sure if the Easter egger is alive either but I will keep up hope for both.
Earlier this year in May, I was using a broody Runner duck to hatch more ducks. It was about 3 weeks into setting when I walked into the coop and heard chirping (5/26). At first I thought a duckling (due 6/2) hatched early but as I looked closer a tiny Easter Egger looking chick emerged from under her. Looks like one of my hens snuck an egg in the duck's nest while she was getting food/water. At the time the duck and her clutch were in the main coop with all the other chickens and ducks, I was prepping the back section of my guinea coop for them but it wasn't ready yet. I also had another broody duck and hen sitting on duck eggs as well, no intention of hatching any chicks. So I took to chick to the house and put it in the brooder I use when incubating eggs. After settling baby in, we headed for Tractor Supply to try and buy one chick - staff knows me well. I told the manager my predicament and she selected a small Wyandotte pullet chick from a bin and handed her to me in a box. I thanked her and headed for check out, she came up to me in line and said to just take her home - no charge and if ever in that situation again, come see her. The hatched chick grew into a beautiful wild child I named Mustang, the Wyandotte is a beautiful silver-laced with a loud mouth named Chatter. I also ended up buying 6 Brahma and 2 starlight olive egger discounted chicks 2 weeks later that were similar age as mine. They've all gotten along since and at 6 months old some are starting to lay.

If only one survives you can try to purchase a chick from a seller (private or supplier) of similar age. Honestly I've mixed chicks together up to 3 weeks apart in age, you just need some hiding places for the smallest/youngest.

Momma duck
20220511_112431.jpg

Mustang and Chatter

20220530_165823.jpg

Mustang (red), Chatter (silver-laced), the other 8 girls when they were about 3 months old and Phantom a young 5 month old Brahma rooster I got for them. Phantom was lost to an owl? attack a week ago, he refused to be in a coop. His prior owner said he always roosted outside. I even put up poles to deter flying predators but not fool proof. My pens are 4000sqft and open overhead, I use poles and have a pair of brother dogs beside them and usually it all works.
20220917_160812.jpg

I wish you all the best and hoping both hatch.

Last edited:
I removed the store bought egg yesterday. I cracked to see when she died. The baby was about the size of a quarter. Probably around day 4-5. 5 days until the EE hatches. I guess it makes sense that she didn't make it, it was almost impossible for her to survive.
Ah, that’s to bad!:hugs It’s pretty cool that you got 2 babies to at least develop! Maybe if u try the experiment again you’ll get some to hatch?! tied this with 2 store bought eggs, nothings developed.

I removed the store bought egg yesterday. I cracked to see when she died. The baby was about the size of a quarter. Probably around day 4-5. 5 days until the EE hatches. I guess it makes sense that she didn't make it, it was almost impossible for her to survive.
Is there an update on your EE chick ? she must be little more than 3 months now if survived....

Back
Top Bottom