Store bought white mushrooms...

Robin'sBrood

Crowing
16 Years
May 8, 2008
North Carolina
Safe for chickens? I have some that are starting to look unappetizing. Rather than throw them out, I'd like to give them to the chickens if they're safe for them. TIA!

From what little I know, but have read here on the forum, if it's not safe for us to eat then it's not very safe for the chicks to eat either. If you're gonna give it to them & considering its mushrooms, I'd do it quick. As long as they don't stink it'll probably be okay.
smile.png

I wish that I could get my little spoiled chickies to eat mushrooms. They just look at me like.....What that's it!

I just tossed the mushrooms out, one by one, to the chickens. My roo, being the curious thing he is, had to stand there and watch me throw each one. One bounced off the ground and hit him (softly) in the chest. I wish y'all could have seen his reaction to that thing coming at him...
gig.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Don't they just crack you up some times? I just put a huge sunflower head in the run and they all took off like it was a giant snake or something. They stood about 10 feet away waiting for it to attack them!
ep.gif

i have found chickens can eat just about anything.. Especially food scraps.. I know mine get rotten food (tomatoes, Potatoes, and other vegetables/fruits, even mushrooms), We dont eat all the time, and they have no problem with it... i've found if it'll hurt them 90% of the time they wont try it. unless its moldy feed thats some naughty little stuff there.

-Daniel

The mushrooms weren't bad, as in spoiled, they just looked bad - and I have a problem eating things that look yucky.
tongue.png
I just didn't know if chickens could eat mushrooms. I didn't stand there to see if they ever tasted one so I'll have to see if the shrooms disappear from their run or not. I put cinnamon apple oatmeal out for them one morning and they never touched it.
idunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom