Stormcrow's Hobby Farm

Pics
@3KillerBs, Can other grapes be used? I hope to have grapes in... 3 years...

Yes. I got a LOAD of grapes from a food pantry last summer and used the same process to make jam except that I didn't have to do the extra step of cooking the hull and pulp separately. I just cooked the entire grape and put it through the food mill to separate out the seeds and skins.

I use 1/4" stainelss steel cable, connected to 3' earth augurs at either end, with three poles - outer poles leaning out at about 15-20 degrees, taller center pole dead vertical, and a 20' toatl length +/- a few inches. and I prune more agressively - but your advice is good. Next time, I'll use larger steel cables.

The ones they use at the vineyard up the way are cray-cray. Crazy "thik" doesn't begin to describe it.

One of our trellises is fine, but the wire on the other is sagging even though we put in turnbuckles and have adjusted them to the max. We're going to have to add a center post to support it.

I don't know - my wife was still working on it after 10pm last night, and she made jelly. Only 6 1/3 pint jars from the first half of the grapes. I'm disapointed in the yeild, actually.

Also, she was concerned it would be to sweet (so am I). She used the juice of half a lemon, though no rind. But it did jell well, so there's that.

See, vicariously. and yes, I shouldn't leave the spoon there.

16926205422033330436189642464425.jpg

Back
Top Bottom