Straight razor for dispatching meat birds?

Quote:
That's what I was using when I first began processing my chickens, but now I prefer to hang & slice. And having good sharp tools, for both the neck-slicing and the later cutting for cleaning, seems to be essential. It really makes a difference in how easy the job goes for me, and certainly is better for the chickens if I can quickly make a good deep cut.

I'm a hatchet and stump guy but I have to ask, why use just the blade, why not use the utility knife, I mean they would be fairly easy to clean when you were done?

Quote:
I like just the blade because it gives you a longer cutting stroke, as opposed to just hacking at it with the utility knife. Plus, you can just throw it away when you're done, whereas, with the full utility knife, the blood is going to get up in the knife, on the handle, etc.

Quote:
The Kobalt one from Lowe's? I love mine.

Yes!!! I'm now able to get the job done with ease.

I'm glad to see you use it...

I look at you as being one of the master processor on BYC...( I say that with utmost respect)

Quote:
I worked as a meat cutter for several years, cutters form attachments to great knives and very seldom let them go unless they lose their temper, and they do from repeated sharpening. They will sharpen but will not hold a edge. The edge must be retempered by holding a torch over the edge and heating until hot and then dipping in water. You must be careful to not melt the handle the heat is only needed on the cutting edge.

You can buy a boning knife from sharptech for under $20 with a new edge, they also sell a inexpensive diamond steel about $20 that will keep the edge. Sharptech and Forester knives are extremely sharp and will cut a finger to the bone with just a touch. Then if your knife gets dull and you need it back to new maybe you can sweet talk you local butcher to rehone it on the tri stone.

Back
Top Bottom