Strange caterpillar may have nearly killed two of my chicks

The chick is shrinking. Weight loss, likely. She's weak, but was still managing to keep up with the other three chicks. I tried putting her on the perch tonight, but she fell off onto the sand. So I put her in the cat bed and laid a towel over her. She went right to sleep.

The other chicks didn't want to come into the coop tonight, stlll scared from the seizure they witnessed upon waking up this morning. I sure hope there's no rerun of it tomorrow morning. This chick probably won't make it, though. If I see no improvement come morning, I will euthanize.

Don't give up too soon. I think it might be just too much for her right now trying to keep up with the others.

I kept mine separate in a dog crate within their run so they would have the others come and visit, having lots of the "medicated food" and their beloved tea with added vitamins placed in and all around the dog crate.

Give it another try, she may just need some rest and her mates visiting only occasionally to animate her.

Morning update. The chick has survived the night, but is very weak, although she can stand. I syringed some sugar water and Nutri-drench into her crop, and I'm waiting to see if it perks her up. I may tube feed her in a bit if she shows signs the sugar water and Nutri-drench have boosted her.

Things point to the direction of this chick not getting any better. But we'll see.

Morning update. The chick has survived the night, but is very weak, although she can stand. I syringed some sugar water and Nutri-drench into her crop, and I'm waiting to see if it perks her up. I may tube feed her in a bit if she shows signs the sugar water and Nutri-drench have boosted her.

Things point to the direction of this chick not getting any better. But we'll see.

I am so very sorry about your chicks. I had small caterpillars on brocolli in my garden yesterday and fed them both (broccoli and catterpillars) to my 5 week old chicks and then read your thread and started freaking out.

Praying your little one makes it. Sending love and healing vibes your way!!

Evening update. My chick appears to be showing slight improvement. Slight. Not out of the woods yet, by any means.

I committed to hourly tube feedings of Nutri-drench and raw egg and water. Just a little bit at a time so as not to overwhelm her system. By late afternoon, she was beginning to eat on her own.

I wish I knew what was going on inside her, how the poison is acting on her system, if permanent damage is occurring, if she's ever going to get well. It sure as heck did a number on my other chick.

Evening update. My chick appears to be showing slight improvement. Slight. Not out of the woods yet, by any means.

I committed to hourly tube feedings of Nutri-drench and raw egg and water. Just a little bit at a time so as not to overwhelm her system. By late afternoon, she was beginning to eat on her own.

I wish I knew what was going on inside her, how the poison is acting on her system, if permanent damage is occurring, if she's ever going to get well. It sure as heck did a number on my other chick.

any more news about your chick? that is really sad. sorry to hear it

The chick is shrinking. Weight loss, likely. She's weak, but was still managing to keep up with the other three chicks. I tried putting her on the perch tonight, but she fell off onto the sand. So I put her in the cat bed and laid a towel over her. She went right to sleep.

The other chicks didn't want to come into the coop tonight, stlll scared from the seizure they witnessed upon waking up this morning. I sure hope there's no rerun of it tomorrow morning. This chick probably won't make it, though. If I see no improvement come morning, I will euthanize.
I
any more news about your chick? that is really sad. sorry to hear it
Hoping you will continue to see improvement! Please let us know.

I put her out with her buddies for now, and she's eating with them and drinking. When I sit down to observe, she wanders over and leans against my leg until I pick her up. Then she snuggles into my arms, hunches up and closes her eyes. She's not making any real progress. She can get around, but is very weak and wobbly.

Nutri-drench in the water, and sprinkled over tofu are the only extras right now.

Back
Top Bottom