Strange caterpillar may have nearly killed two of my chicks

I put her out with her buddies for now, and she's eating with them and drinking. When I sit down to observe, she wanders over and leans against my leg until I pick her up. Then she snuggles into my arms, hunches up and closes her eyes. She's not making any real progress. She can get around, but is very weak and wobbly.

Nutri-drench in the water, and sprinkled over tofu are the only extras right now.
Thanks for the update. Fingers crossed for your baby. Hoping she just needs time to get stronger....

I just read the whole thread. I'm so sorry about your two little chicks. Hopefully the other one makes it. :hugs

Your little girl is brave and definitely a fighter!! Bless you for your dedication to her rehabilitation. I've not had chickens for very long, and nearly clueless when it comes to them, but what I have heard is that they are resilient little buggers and I'm hoping this rings true for your little babe and she makes it through!!

Update: the chick is going downhill all of a sudden, losing control of limbs, fluttering, gasping, disoriented.

In giving sugar water via syringe to the esophagus, I noticed the tip of her tongue is yellow, as if it's been damaged. Probably it's where the caterpillar spine got her.

I'm working on my resolve to euthanize this evening if she doesn't pull out of this nosedive.

Update: the chick is going downhill all of a sudden, losing control of limbs, fluttering, gasping, disoriented.

In giving sugar water via syringe to the esophagus, I noticed the tip of her tongue is yellow, as if it's been damaged. Probably it's where the caterpillar spine got her.

I'm working on my resolve to euthanize this evening if she doesn't pull out of this nosedive.

Did you administer charcoal and milk thistle several times a day as well?

When I was taking care of chickens on the farm, they showed me deadly catapillar that can kill a human. So if it does kill your birds make sure you don't let it kill you! Good luck.

I put her out with her buddies for now, and she's eating with them and drinking. When I sit down to observe, she wanders over and leans against my leg until I pick her up. Then she snuggles into my arms, hunches up and closes her eyes. She's not making any real progress. She can get around, but is very weak and wobbly.

Nutri-drench in the water, and sprinkled over tofu are the only extras right now.

Tofu? I have never heard of giving a chicken tofu, could she be allergic?

I'm so sorry you're chick is struggling. I've been keeping a vigilant eye on this thread, hoping and praying for good news. Still sending love and prayers your way, and the strength to you to make such a difficult decision. Hoping your babe pulls through!!

Back
Top Bottom