Straw vs Wood Chips for chicks

Newchickenguy84

Chirping
May 15, 2018
NE TN
There are a lot of threads on bedding when older. I was wondering what about chicks. Is it better to use wood chips which I used for my first set of chicks. Or can I use straw which I have a lot of.

Ive also started seeing articles and things on Pinterest about sand bedding. Which seems like an interesting dual
Purpose. :caf
Personally I use pine shavings. I’ve also heard that straw is susceptible to growing harmful mold quickly when moist.

Sand??? What type of sand can you provide a link @BlessedmamaAELE? Guess I'll go get some wood chips then. My new comers get here in a week so starting to prepare.
Don't use sand in your brooder. Some people use sand in their coops or runs. You'll find people who absolutely love it and people who absolutely hate it. I am firmly in the latter camp, personally. But, that's for another day-it isn't an appropriate substrate for chicks. Get the large flake pine chips at your local feed store and you'll be set for your chicks!

:welcome Hi, I have used pine shavings and have discovered puppy pads, they work wonderful in the brooder. I use the contractors multi-purpose sand in the coop under the roosts, works like a chicken litter box, I go in and scoop it like you would a litter box for a cat.. I love it. So much easier to keep clean.

Attachments

• 20190414_185901.jpg
    20190414_185901.jpg
    460.6 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom