Stray chicken adopted my flock

The Fairy Godmartyr

Songster
9 Years
Aug 7, 2010
Last night, I looked out and saw a random chicken looking into our run (really strange, since the closest chickens I know of are a quarter of a mile away). It was back this morning, so I let my girls out. Everyone is getting along fine, so I put it up with my girls when the local hawk showed up. I think it is still young, but I have no clue on breed. It runs like a roadrunner and can fly straight up. It is currently significantly smaller than my standard hens, but bigger than my silkie. It is terrified of people. Any ideas?

We have long questioned if the closest farm to us wasn't running cock fighting. I suppose game fowl would fit that scenario.

That's probably more likely as true Red Jungle Fowl are hard to come by, although, judging by the colors, I think that is a specific type of game hen marketed as a "red jungle fowl game hen" that is a game hen that's supposed to look like the Jungle Fowl.

looks like a game hen to me as well. And I second the comment about contacting authorities if you have an inclination that they are cock fighting. Being a police officer myself though, please give them your reasons why you think they are fighting the birds. We can't do much without being able to articulate why we believe certain things are going on. Good luck and pretty girl!

If I had anything beyond suspicion, I would. It is just based of the large number of mature roosters crowing back there year-round. There could be other explanations, like raising for food, but I would think they would go through batches and slaughter if that were the case. But maybe not. It has just always seemed a bit odd. But not to the point where I would feel right about making accusations.

I wish chickens would just "show up" to me. ;)
REALLY jealous of your free chicken! :)

I'm telling myself that its arrival is some sort of cosmic retribution. After 3 1/2 years of owning chickens, we had our first predator loss less than two weeks ago when a hawk killed my silkie roo. Of course, it would have been better if a random ROOSTER showed up! I miss watching the little guy strut around.

Back
Top Bottom