Struggling to get humidity high enough

Jetblack2004

Free Ranging
7 Years
Feb 22, 2016
South East England
My Coop
My Coop
I have some eggs in the incubator and lockdown was yesterday. My problem is I can't get the humidity higher than 60%. I've made sure the water channels were full, put cardboard in the help evaporate and sprayed them but still can't get it high enough. Is 60% ok for hatching? I've heard it's meant to be 65% or higher. Does anybody have any tips on how to get it higher?

Thanks!

-Jet

To increase humidity, you need to increase the amount of water surface area -- not the water depth. I use condiment cups when I hatch. Two condiment cups of a certain size hold the humidity at 35% to 38% for me. When I need to raise the humidity for hatching, I add two more condiment cups to get the humidity to 68% to 70%. It's all about increasing the amount of surface area so more water is available for evaporation.

I'm not sure what the cardboard is for. Unless it is saturated, wouldn't it draw water out of the air and reduce humidity? Try adding a soaked sponge or some other means to increase the water's surface area.

Last edited:
Interesting. I've never seen evaporating card strips, maybe because I've never looked for another method since mine has worked for me so well. Either the cardboard strips aren't a comparable replacement or it just isn't working in your situation. Keep us posted. :)

I have some eggs in the incubator and lockdown was yesterday. My problem is I can't get the humidity higher than 60%. I've made sure the water channels were full, put cardboard in the help evaporate and sprayed them but still can't get it high enough. Is 60% ok for hatching? I've heard it's meant to be 65% or higher. Does anybody have any tips on how to get it higher?

Thanks!

-Jet
I used to have trouble with lockdown humidity. Then I got tiny little one inch square containers with lids, but I don't use the lids from the dollar store. 12 for $1.00. I cut a sponge into squares that fit inside each cup, moisten them, and depending on the time of year and what my humidity is I add two to four to the incubator the last three days. I also place a sponge square under the air vent so I can add more water by running a narrow plastic tube to the container if it appears to be evaporating too fast or the humidity goes lower than I want. Works like a charm.

That looks kinda gimmicky. How are they better than putting a wet sponge in the incubator?

I'm not saying they are better but just another option. For me personally I find sponges don't create enough surface area of water for me at lockdown. But that's not to say they don't for other people as not all the same things work for everyone. I came across the evaporation pads when I got my Brinsea and humidity pump but they also work well in the base of my other incubator that I have to add water to manually.

I spread paper towels over the bottom tray, leaving ventilation holes open, and into the water wells to increase surface area.
Makes after hatch clean up way easier too.

Chopsticks are to keep mesh away from the constant wet,
kinda hard to see paper towels,
but entire surface of try is covered, except corners where vent holes are.
Colored plastic shim stock in bottom of wells makes them easier to see when filling.

Siphon bottle with tiny tubing extension attached with aquarium air tubing.
Fits thru tiny vent holes in lid to 'water' without opening bator.
Tray underneath bator catches any overflow,
and I have also filled that with an 1/8" of water to increase ambient humidity(not sure how effective that is tho)

Thanks for the helpful replies!
I was about to go and put paper tower AND sponge in but the humidity read 67%! I'm so pleased and there are now two pips. Can't wait for hatch day!

p,s. Yorkshire Coop - I'm using a Brinsea Octagon 20 and a Brinsea Ovation 56. The Brinsea Ovation had the humidity issues but hopefully it will stay as it is now. Thanks for the link. I'll look at the humidity pads :)

-Jet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom