Stubborn Broody...any ideas?

bekachickenborn

Chirping
Jul 17, 2016
SweetPea, our Olive Egger, has been broody for over a month. At first we were just going to wait it out. Then the other day I saw her attacking one of my silkies in the nesting box trying to kick her out. So I made a chicken jail and have it elevated about 3 inches from the floor of the coop. She roosts most of the time. Still no egg. How long does it take before they are broken? Do you leave them in there until they lay an egg? She has been in there for about five days now. Seems like it should have worked by now? Thanks!

If Sweet Pea has been broody for over a month, her hormones should be about spent by now.

At the beginning of the broody cycle, when hormones are very strong, it can take up to ten days to break a broody. But at the end of the 21 day cycle, unless there are chicks hatched out of eggs, the hormones should be winding down.

It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile so we know whether it's summer or winter where you are. If it's summer, you can hasten the breaking process by wetting Sweet Pea's underparts and setting a fan to circulate air under her. You should see her interest in nesting disappear in less than two days.

SweetPea, our Olive Egger, has been broody for over a month. At first we were just going to wait it out. Then the other day I saw her attacking one of my silkies in the nesting box trying to kick her out. So I made a chicken jail and have it elevated about 3 inches from the floor of the coop. She roosts most of the time. Still no egg. How long does it take before they are broken? Do you leave them in there until they lay an egg? She has been in there for about five days now. Seems like it should have worked by now? Thanks!
If you're lucky enough to have a super broody, she can keep it up for 2 or 3 months, best way to stop it is let her sit on hatching eggs for the 3 weeks it takes to hatch them, then she'll snap right out of it once the chicks hatch. You can sell or give away the chicks in a few days, she will spend a few days looking for them then go back to being a normal hen. All other remedies are "iffy" and only work on some individual hens. By the way, many of us are VERY envious of your broody hen!!! Wanna trade?

If Sweet Pea has been broody for over a month, her hormones should be about spent by now.

At the beginning of the broody cycle, when hormones are very strong, it can take up to ten days to break a broody. But at the end of the 21 day cycle, unless there are chicks hatched out of eggs, the hormones should be winding down.

It would be helpful if you would fill out your profile so we know whether it's summer or winter where you are. If it's summer, you can hasten the breaking process by wetting Sweet Pea's underparts and setting a fan to circulate air under her. You should see her interest in nesting disappear in less than two days.
Thank you. I'm in Pennsylvania so summer has just begun. I think I'll give her a few more days and then go for the cold water like you suggested. How do you tell if they are broke? Do you just let let free and see if they go back to nest?

If you're lucky enough to have a super broody, she can keep it up for 2 or 3 months, best way to stop it is let her sit on hatching eggs for the 3 weeks it takes to hatch them, then she'll snap right out of it once the chicks hatch. You can sell or give away the chicks in a few days, she will spend a few days looking for them then go back to being a normal hen. All other remedies are "iffy" and only work on some individual hens. By the way, many of us are VERY envious of your broody hen!!! Wanna trade?
That's going to be the last ditch effort. Luckily we have a silkie roo to fertilize the eggs. I'm sure if I have her hatch a few silkies I could unload them pretty quickly. I wouldn't care so much. But I now have two of my nine hens gone broody and hogging 2/3 of my nesting boxes. Sigh.

Yes you will just have to let her out and see if she goes back. When she's in the jail she shouldn't have a roost. I have one now that has been broody forever so I will put her in the rabbit cage as soon as my other one gets out. Oh well gotta love those broodies

When it's summer and very warm, I dip my broody, one of which I have right this moment, in cool water, just her underparts, and then place her back in her broody breaking cage.

The evaporation of the water on her damp feathers on her hot broody belly helps to cool down and reduce the effect of her hormones. The effect is similar to when you take a dip in a pool and it cools you off as the water evaporates from your skin.

Dunking a broody, on the other hand, expecting that alone to break her is useless. There is no substitute for a good, elevated, open-meshed bottom broody cage.

Cold water does nothing....Put her in a wire bottomed crate and lift up off the ground...Her underside needs to cool before she will break...Blow a fan under her..It will take a few days....
She's been in this type of cage for about five days. I plan to let her out today to see what she does. Fingers crossed. I have another bird that needs to go in next.

Back
Top Bottom