Stubborn Broody...any ideas?

Why shouldn't she have a roost ? I don't want my hens on the wire bottom of my broody buster. Not sure roosting is a problem as ours has worked a few times.
Because if they r roosting they r still able to cover their bellies and that's where u want them to be cooled down. Where as if she's only in a cage with a wire bottom there is no way to keep her belly warm

Should have let her out with her chicks after about a week after hatching,
she would have raised them until about 4-8 weeks then probably gone back to laying.
I have 25 hens and two Roosters in my main coop.It is not a safe place for chicks.
Unless your coop is incredibly crowded(not enough space for the number of birds you have) a broody mama should have little trouble protecting her chicks from the rest of the flock. Especially if she was setting, hatching, and spending the first week with her chicks within view of the flock and can still use that nest as a 'safe place'. It's all about management and facility planning.

Because if they r roosting they r still able to cover their bellies and that's where u want them to be cooled down. Where as if she's only in a cage with a wire bottom there is no way to keep her belly warm
Nah, a roost is not going to deter the 'cooling down'...
...unless the roost is a huge wide board, it will not simulate a nest environment.
Tho a good size mesh bottom, no larger than 1x2 'holes', will work better and not unduly stress the birds feet.

Oh ok, that makes sense.
But isn't it hard on their feet?
I'll keep my roost in because we've had success with it, their butts hang over for fresh air and we move them to a sunny spot with a fan if needed.

Oh ok, that makes sense.
But isn't it hard on their feet?
I'll keep my roost in because we've had success with it, their butts hang over for fresh air and we move them to a sunny spot with a fan if needed.
These two things do not go together.
If it's really hot a fan might be needed,
but in that case you wouldn't want them in a sunny spot.

Tho I wouldn't keep birds on mesh full time long term,
proper sized mesh won't hurt their feet in the short term.
Tho a good size mesh bottom, no larger than 1x2 'holes', will work better and not unduly stress the birds feet.

Back
Top Bottom