Stupid dog..

stephensc7146

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Southeastern, Ohio
Today one of my poor barred rock babies died. :( My aunts dog snuck into my room, ripped down the cardboard wall around my brooder, waited for a chick to stick its head through the wire, and attacked :( Sneeky dog. He's always taken an interest to the chickens. Sitting at watching them whenever the gate is temporarily down, but we never imagined that he would attack one. I guess this is just a reminder to keep a close eye on any pets..

RIP Little BR!

Today one of my poor barred rock babies died. :( My aunts dog snuck into my room, ripped down the cardboard wall around my brooder, waited for a chick to stick its head through the wire, and attacked :( Sneeky dog. He's always taken an interest to the chickens. Sitting at watching them whenever the gate is temporarily down, but we never imagined that he would attack one. I guess this is just a reminder to keep a close eye on any pets..

RIP Little BR!

Certainly never turn your back on a dog. Mans best friend loves a chicken dinner as much as his master.

Something said in another thread got me thinking. It goes like this:
The dog must not see you working with the chickens, as it thinks this is 'play oriented'.
Any other exposure to the chickens must be strictly controlled to include the idea that the chickens are to be avoided and ignored.

So Fido must be trained not only to keep away from them, but to think of them as merely part of the landscape.
Ive never had any luck at that, but maybe it will work for you.

My family and I always tried to keep a close eye on the dogs. Our cats like to sleep in my room on my bed, but they have never tried to hurt the chicks. They never pay them any mind. One cat worked its way into the brooder box one day, and it was found just laying in the box asleep under the lamp, not paying any attention to the chicks. But this time my aunt went to take a shower and left the gate open enough for the dog to sneak back to my room, then the damage was done. My aunt is considering getting rid of her dog over the whole thing, but I told her there was no reason to get rid of the dog over it, I just wouldn't be friends with him for a while. I assured her that I wasn't mad at her in any way. Im definitely going to take any extra measures to assure my chicks safety.

My aunts dog snuck into my room, ripped down the cardboard wall around my brooder, waited for a chick to stick its head through the wire, and attacked :( Sneeky dog. He's always taken an interest to the chickens. Sitting at watching them whenever the gate is temporarily down, but we never imagined that he would attack one. I guess this is just a reminder to keep a close eye on any pets..

RIP Little BR!

well... not stupid really, clever and untrained is more like it....

if you can tell his interests... why not try to train him?

I finally saved this to a document this morning. :) I got tired of typing the same advice over and over!

training. training. more training. Just like cleaning the coop and scooping poop and all the other jobs that come with having a pet. The only thing more necessary to a dog than training is food!

You already know that he is excited with the chicks. Find the closest distance that the dog first notices the birds in the brooder. This might be in another room if he is one to constantly glance at the door. Put your dog on leash and get some extra special treats that he only gets for this work - bacon, grilled chicken (no spices!), hot dog chunks, etc. When the dog glances toward the birds, say his name and "leave it" If he looks at you, give him a treat - if he doesn't, give a light pop on the leash (think tap on the shoulder). When he looks at you reward him.
You can also teach him "watch me" the same way. You can practice this at random times though out the day. If you have a couple extra minutes while you're watching TV or whatever, just say his name, pause, "watch me" When he makes eye contact, then reward him. You can also (if you get in the habit of keeping a small treat in your pockets) catch him looking towards you say "watch me" and then reward. Or just praise him verbally.

Once the dog is reliably paying attention to you and the birds at a distance, move a little bit closer. If he absolutely blows you off, you're too close. Just back up a bit and begin again. Eventually you will be right amongst the birds. You can then start at a distance or with a long line (20' leash or so) and work from there. I never ever leave my dogs/chickens loose unattended together.
I don't even trust Rayden
I don't mean I constantly hover over the dogs when they are out with the birds, but I am in the area and aware of what they are doing. Think of it as a small child. Even though you've taught them not to play with matches, would you leave them alone in the house with matches scattered all over the floor?

The most important part of the training is to set the dog up to succeed. Don't give him a chance to chase the birds. Don't give him a chance to disobey.

ETA: The best thing about teaching "leave it" is that it works for everything. Drop something on the floor and don't want the dogs to touch it? "leave it" See dog running toward a snake? "leave it" Lots of training and work, but it pays off!
Of course, some dogs just can't be trusted off-leash. Period. They are just too focused on the birds. In that case, just confine the dog when the birds are out.

With a dog like that I would LEASH it in the house along with the gates until it is properly trained.If it kills again it would be in an outdoor kennel.

I finally saved this to a document this morning. :) I got tired of typing the same advice over and over!

training. training. more training. Just like cleaning the coop and scooping poop and all the other jobs that come with having a pet. The only thing more necessary to a dog than training is food!

You already know that he is excited with the chicks. Find the closest distance that the dog first notices the birds in the brooder. This might be in another room if he is one to constantly glance at the door. Put your dog on leash and get some extra special treats that he only gets for this work - bacon, grilled chicken (no spices!), hot dog chunks, etc. When the dog glances toward the birds, say his name and "leave it" If he looks at you, give him a treat - if he doesn't, give a light pop on the leash (think tap on the shoulder). When he looks at you reward him.
You can also teach him "watch me" the same way. You can practice this at random times though out the day. If you have a couple extra minutes while you're watching TV or whatever, just say his name, pause, "watch me" When he makes eye contact, then reward him. You can also (if you get in the habit of keeping a small treat in your pockets) catch him looking towards you say "watch me" and then reward. Or just praise him verbally.

Once the dog is reliably paying attention to you and the birds at a distance, move a little bit closer. If he absolutely blows you off, you're too close. Just back up a bit and begin again. Eventually you will be right amongst the birds. You can then start at a distance or with a long line (20' leash or so) and work from there. I never ever leave my dogs/chickens loose unattended together.
I don't even trust Rayden
I don't mean I constantly hover over the dogs when they are out with the birds, but I am in the area and aware of what they are doing. Think of it as a small child. Even though you've taught them not to play with matches, would you leave them alone in the house with matches scattered all over the floor?

The most important part of the training is to set the dog up to succeed. Don't give him a chance to chase the birds. Don't give him a chance to disobey.

ETA: The best thing about teaching "leave it" is that it works for everything. Drop something on the floor and don't want the dogs to touch it? "leave it" See dog running toward a snake? "leave it" Lots of training and work, but it pays off!
Of course, some dogs just can't be trusted off-leash. Period. They are just too focused on the birds. In that case, just confine the dog when the birds are out.
In all that training, training training, I find the highlighted statement most notable.
It might be best to simply go with that, in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom