Stupid law in Daphne, AL

DesertSand

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
I just rented a home with a HUUUGE backyard that is surrounded by woods in Daphne, AL. My wife wants to raise a few (3-4) chickens for eggs. I can't find the particular law, but I pulled this from an article;

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Daphne:
"New" chickens are illegal in Daphne. Flocks held before new animal control laws went into effect a couple of years ago are OK.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Here is a link..[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.al.com/specialreport/mobileregister/?outlaws.html

Here is a pic of the backyard..

I just moved from a place that allowed chickens.. Couldn't I build a very nice coop and just have them anyways. I'm just so aggravated with this and that they would try to stop that. A friend of mine told me to do it anyway.. I just wanted some opinions..

I guess I also got to ask. If I go ahead with it, what am I facing? Fines? Them taking the 4 chickens? I think I could deal with that..

Last edited:
Dialogue in City Council about chickens. Some of the Council seemed a bit concerned about overregulations. Maybe you could talk with them about "exceptions" or variances.

http://www.daphneal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Council-Packet.pdf

Type in Chicken and dialogue will come up.
========================
Second source of info on noise abatement penalties which specifically mentions birds I found:

http://www.daphneal.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Council-Packet.pdf

go to page 52 and find

"Details of the revised ordinance on noise abatement, which does address chickens are:
SECTION II: PENALTY.
A. Any person found guilty of violating any provision of this Ordinance shall be
punished by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50.00), nor more than five
hundred dollars ($500.00), or by imprisonment for a period not exceeding six (6)
months, or both, in the discretion of the Municipal Judge.
B. This Ordinance shall also be subject to enforcement by the issuance of a
summons and complaint pursuant to the provisions of Ordinance No. 1993-02, as
the same may be from time to time amended"
======================
Although second reference doesn't mention the NOT keeping of chickens unless grandfathered, my guess is you could face the sanctions/penalties above and any sanction/penalty specifically developed or related to the NON allowance of new chickens if not grandfathered.
===========================

I am sure if you went to the library or City Hall, you could get a copy of the full chicken ordinance and see penalties just for it and then be better informed. Hope this was helpful and have a blessed day.

So what you're saying is I'm still screwed :)

Thanks for pulling all of that up. I didn't even know where to look. I read through all of it. The guy saying that allowing chickens would open pandora's box of goats, pigs, etc. LOL

No, I am a "Polyanna" kind of person. I believe there can be a possibility of asking for a variance or a waver! Or a bunch of other animal lovers might be willing to go in and meet with you and the City Council. Good luck!

It looks like one councilman was okay and the other thought it would lead to other animals. They mention animal control so I'd call them too. You may be able to petition and educate at council meetings to get the law changed. Look up laws in surrounding towns and use the suggestions available in the stickies at the top of the forum. Good luck.

In Mobile, literally like 10 miles away you can have up to 25 of them. Lol.
This may be a long shot of a reply, but how did things work out for your chickens? I have a pet duck, (and plan on getting another) and moving to that area soon!

Hi and :welcome! From reading the city code it looks like poultry are still not allowed...hope you can find a solution for you and your duck!

https://library.municode.com/al/daphne/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=COOR_CH4ANFO#:~:text=It shall be unlawful for any owner or person-in,at large within the city.There is a part in there that mentions that it could be allowed based off the size of your lot apparently. It's a bit confusing saying one thing, than another. Unless I'm reading it wrong!

Back
Top Bottom