Stupid Questions Thread

bow.gif
Nifty, always good to see you again!

Nifty came quicker than my Chihuahuas when I call them, lol. It's good to know that we are all under the care of BYC admin and moderators.

Temporary Coops made out of pallets and fridge boxes... Ever get lost in the forum and forget who asked you for pictures? Well, here are the pictures I promised of the temporary coops that I made of stuff we just had on hand.

Sorry that the quality of the pictures isn't that great but I got my Tablet for free....that probably explains the quality of the camera, lol.

1. I cover the inside of the pallets with cardboard so that they are wind proof and to prevent little chicks from squeezing between the slats . Btw pallets are generally free for the taking at stores that get large quantities of wharehouse deliveries.

2. You can erect them into a pyramid shape or rectangular shape.

3. You can even stack them beside each other....which is what I did for my young turkeys because they like to roost side by side in a long line.

4. The quickest coop was a Fridge Box. It was a makeshift brood box to start with. The sides were high enough so that they couldnt fly out. Then when the chicks were old enough to stay outdoors without the heat lamp, I cut the opening at the bottom and surrounded it with a dog ex-pen to give them a bit of a grassy run. They are now free range and I made them a pallet coop but they still go back to the Fridge Box each night, lol.

Anyone have a Guardian dog for their poultry? When Pyrenees are used for guarding sheep from predators, the pups are raised with the baby lambs. Can you raise a puppy with poultry without expecting some corpses?

Quote: I have raised Great Pyrenees with the poultry and livestock, and it has helped with hawks, coyotes, etc. Definitely make sure it is around poultry at a young age, and under supervision if you can, especially when very young. You will have to discipline it well, and it should not be a house dog (it sleeps outside year round with the chickens). There are a lot of good books on the subject of livestock guardians, what is used for sheep can usually be applied with a bit of modification. However, every dog is different, and there are livestock guardian dogs that would not be fit for their job.

Danke sehr, @Das Huhn and thanks Diva. Our property is all fenced but a large dog could probably jump it, since the coyotes do.

Will different breeds of Turkeys mate? What is a good white variety of Turkeys? I was thinking of switching to a white variety but I invested so much time in raising my bronze hens that I was just going to buy a couple of white Toms.

Back
Top Bottom