Styrofoam Incubators Club

What kind of Styrofoam Incubator do you have?

• Hovabator

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • Little Giant--manual controls

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Little Giant--digital controls

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Farm innovators

Votes: 33 24.3%

• Total voters
Thanks for sharing! And welcome to the styro-bators club! :p I am keeping all this incubating wisdom in a document so that I can post it for the novices :)
I've heard about the lego idea before. I need to do this, because even the slightest turn of the knob can change it 3 or more degrees.
Hope you have a fantastic hatch! What breeds do you have in?

Me too! I have 10 Old english game bantam (OEGB) mixes, and one EE x silkie tossed in at the last minute. Oops.

Last edited:
Me too! I have 10 Old english game bantam (OEGB) mixes, and one EE x silkie tossed in at the last minute. Oops.
lau.gif

-Banti
Haha those "last minute" hatching decisions--I can totally relate.
wink.png

Thank you! Feel free to share any wisdom you have on styrofoam incubators, or just incubation in general :)
No wisdom yet. Here to learn. Fairly new! This is my second hatch attempt. The first was a fail. I think I may have drowned them. So im trying for the 30%-35% humidity levels in lockdown and i have added another acurite and a basic thermometor after making sure the all were correct.

Here is what I use to get the thermometers up to the right level, just cardboard and sticky tac:
That's fantastic. I use an aquarium thermometer as well, along with a metal one and a digital. I have a forced air, so the thermometers are sitting on the wire mesh at the bottom. You've got me thinking perhaps I need to get another one and place it on the top of the eggs too.

No wisdom yet. Here to learn. Fairly new! This is my second hatch attempt. The first was a fail. I think I may have drowned them. So im trying for the 30%-35% humidity levels in lockdown and i have added another acurite and a basic thermometor after making sure the all were correct.

What made you think they drowned? Just curious..... I don't want to drown mine. :fl

Last edited:
No problem! There are so many knowledgeable people on here, there is all the information you need :) I drowned a hatch last year, then I went with the dry method and got the best hatch I'd ever had. Are you using the acurite "humidity monitor"? I've used that one and it's great.
If you've incubated at 30-35% a lockdown humidity of 75% is perfectly fine. In fact, it gives you some cushion in case you need to open the incubator.
Welcome to the club! :)

Last edited:
This might not be the correct place to post but I have a question on how clean must the eggs be to incubate and if I have to wipe them with a sponge could I use a light mist of food grade sanitizer on them? Has anyone done this? I am concerned about wiping off to much of the protective coating.

Last edited:
This might not be the correct place to post but I have a question on how clean must the eggs be io incubate and if I have to wipe them with a sponge could I use a light mist of food grade sanitizer on them? Has anyone done this? I am concerned about wiping off to much of the protective coating.
Don't use dirty eggs (as in, covered/smeared with poop or dirt) unless you have to. Keep your nests full of fresh clean hay to help prevent dirty eggs. But to clean, I usually just use water and and a paper towel. I've not heard of using a food sanitizer. Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable could chime in.

What made you think they drowned? Just curious..... I don't want to drown mine. :fl
-Banti
Poor knowledge of humidity levels and rhe whole proscess really. Having it really high before and during lockdown. Way too high! 60-70% before and then durning 70-80%. I also didnt remove the ventilation caps during the whole incubation period. They have holes for allowing air but i didnt open the ones made for proper ventilation. I went off of somebody elses poor to little advice. Not that they are to blame. I simply did not do my research.

Back
Top Bottom