Styrofoam Incubators Club

What kind of Styrofoam Incubator do you have?

• Hovabator

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • Little Giant--manual controls

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Little Giant--digital controls

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Farm innovators

Votes: 33 24.3%

• Total voters
Pics
May I ask why? Humidity in the incubator is dependent on the surface area of the water not the depth, so I see little point to marking the water wells...

So I can better tell where they are when I want to add water. My bator has pin holes premade into the areas not meant for water so if I miss the wells I make a huge mess as it leaks out.

I should have mentioned I have a turner and can't see the water wells without the edges being marked.

I did a lot of research on incubators and decided on this one,price was my reason. Figured knowing that the digital display that comes with it was junk, as well as any other mishaps, I was already a step ahead. I actually have 4 in there right know just so I can make sure the temp is right before I put any eggs. I have turned the temp down 1 degree and am waiting to see what happens and if everything remains stable. I bought some static cling Saran wrap thanks to advice on this forum and will use sponges to increase humidity during lockdown. How many sponges should I use and what is the easiest way to add water to the sponges? I was thinking a turkey baster.

Maybe put the sponges under the vent holes and use a straw or funnel? I saw where someone had flexible tubing rigged up to go from the vent hole to the water well. I have had my lid off messing with my last ones just now and the humidity is back to 89 already so I don't worry with it. It's the end of the hatch and I have a pipper on the wrong end along with a couple that just aren't progressing I'm trying to save...

Maybe put the sponges under the vent holes and use a straw or funnel? I saw where someone had flexible tubing rigged up to go from the vent hole to the water well. I have had my lid off messing with my last ones just now and the humidity is back to 89 already so I don't worry with it. It's the end of the hatch and I have a pipper on the wrong end along with a couple that just aren't progressing I'm trying to save...

Regardless of all the nonsense hyperbole that manufactures and some others like to preach, lock down is not necessary or required but if you decide to do it, temporarily opening the incubator to add water is perfectly acceptable and won't hurt the hatch at all... If you are overly concerned with humidity getting lost, get a spray bottle, fill it with warm water and mist the incubator inside before closing...

Last edited:
Regardless of all the nonsense hyperbole that manufactures and some others like to preach, lock down is not necessary or required but if you decide to do it, temporarily opening the incubator to add water is perfectly acceptable and won't hurt the hatch at all... If you are overly concerned with humidity getting lost, get a spray bottle, fill it with warm water and mist the incubator inside before closing...

I really don't worry about it, but some will disagree. Once the hatch starts the humidity is so high I worry more about drowning them, lol.

Ended up with a 91% hatch... Here are pics!

Well none of the eggs survived the spike in temperature. I waited three days and then took them out and opened them. Out of the 23 eggs only 8 had developed, probably to the 14th day when I had the mishap. The rest were evidently not fertile as there was no development. A bummer since I paid almost $60 for the eggs. I made a couple improvements to the incubator and I think I will get some cheaper eggs for another test run until I get it right. I now have a good scientific thermometer that I trust. Question is where is the best place to put it, both in relation to height off the turner and in relation to the heating element?

Well none of the eggs survived the spike in temperature.  I waited three days and then took them out and opened them.  Out of the 23 eggs only 8 had developed, probably to the 14th day when I had the mishap.  The rest were evidently not fertile as there was no development.  A bummer since I paid almost $60 for the eggs.  I made a couple improvements to the incubator and I think I will get some cheaper eggs for another test run until I get it right.  I now have a good scientific thermometer that I trust.  Question is where is the best place to put it, both in relation to height off the turner and in relation to the heating element?

The best place to put the thermometer is in a 'fake' eggs, to best stimulate the internal temp of the egg, as that is what is important, not the air temp...

These 'wigglers' found at some dollar store or novelty shops work well, just slide the thermometer inside...

http://www.amazon.com/Rhode-Island-Novelty-Clown-Wiggler/dp/B000Z4BT7E

I prefer preemie baby bottles filled with water,for chicken eggs...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60ML-Baby-I...-Nipple-Bottle-Drinking-Bottles-/201461227161

And slightly larger bottles filed with water for bigger eggs like peafowl or turkey...

As you can see in the picture above the nipple makes a nice grommet, upside down in the small bottle but right-side up in the preemie bottle due to space...

If you are concerned about leaks you can fill the bottle up with medical lube (aka KY jelly) or someone on the forum used sodium polyacrylate they got theirs by ripping open a disposable diaper, it's the small clear crystals that fall out, they absorb huge amounts of water and swell up into a gel when soaked... You can more easily find it in the garden section sold by Miracle Grow as 'water storing crystal', in the kids toy area as 'Squishy Baff' or at a craft store in the floral area as 'water gel crystals'

They also make commercial fake egg thermometer devices but they are a little costly for me...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom