Styrofoam Incubators Club

What kind of Styrofoam Incubator do you have?

• Hovabator

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • Little Giant--manual controls

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Little Giant--digital controls

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Farm innovators

Votes: 33 24.3%

• Total voters
Pics
Yesterday was day 7 so I candled my first batch of eggs. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of veining and movement! Some were hard to tell but 22 out of 24 seemed viable. I kept all eggs are still in the bator until I can be sure. Air cells did look small so I'm going to run without any water for a while.
So far so good!

Yesterday was day 7 so I candled my first batch of eggs. I was pleasantly surprised with the amount of veining and movement! Some were hard to tell but 22 out of 24 seemed viable. I kept all eggs are still in the bator until I can be sure. Air cells did look small so I'm going to run without any water for a while.
So far so good!
I am glad I followed the advice to run dry. When humidity got to the low 20s I tossed a damp paper towel into the corner. That kept our LG 9300 right around 30%.

So far so good!
I am glad I followed the advice to run dry. When humidity got to the low 20s I tossed a damp paper towel into the corner. That kept our LG 9300 right around 30%.

Seems like everyone says to do things differently. I don't have a hygrometer for my incubator, so I'm just monitoring the air cell size. We have a woodstove that sucks the moisture out of the house so I don't want to mummify the poor little things! Lol!

Haha, good idea. What I learned from reading about and doing incubation is that there is wiggle room. Mother nature isn't making a hen do rocket science and chicks were hatched for thousands of years without me. Just do your best to stay between 98.5 and 101.5 and don't mummify your eggs. Lol that should get just about anyone to a hatch.

Last edited:
:D
Haha, good idea. What I learned ftom reading about and doing incubation is that there is wiggle room. Mother nature isn't make a hen do rocket science and chicks were hatched for thousands of years without me. Just do your best to stay between 98.5 and 101.5 and don't mummify your eggs. Lol that should get just about anyone to a hatch.

:D

Does anyone have any experience with, or opinions about, this incubator? It's a Farm Innovations Model #4250. I had planned on getting a Hovabator 1588 Genesis (with fan and turner) later this year, but now I find myself in a bit of a bind. I have shipped eggs off ebay on the way for my broody hen, but I just found out the buyer included a lot of extra eggs. This is great, I'm just not so sure my broody can handle all 16 eggs.

I found this model at FFH yesterday for $129. I wonder if it's worth picking up.

Feedback I've seen on this site suggests a lot of temp spikes and a hot turner motor.

(Sorry, can't get the picture to post)

Last edited:

So while I was trying to make my flashlight a candler using business cards wrapped around the top and tape, works great, I realized that the top screws off and makes the perfect candler. Picture with the egg is in a room with the lights on.

Does anyone have any experience with, or opinions about, this incubator? It's a Farm Innovations Model #4250. I had planned on getting a Hovabator 1588 Genesis (with fan and turner) later this year, but now I find myself in a bit of a bind. I have shipped eggs off ebay on the way for my broody hen, but I just found out the buyer included a lot of extra eggs. This is great, I'm just not so sure my broody can handle all 16 eggs.

I found this model at FFH yesterday for $129. I wonder if it's worth picking up.

Feedback I've seen on this site suggests a lot of temp spikes and a hot turner motor.

(Sorry, can't get the picture to post)
You mean this one?

I have not used one myself but I do know the gauges are very incorrect, and it is indeed prone to temperature spikes. Make sure to invest in a couple extra thermometers as you will be needing them for a successful hatch. Maybe someone who owns this incubator can chime in with some hatching wisdom :)

Does anyone have any experience with, or opinions about, this incubator?  It's a Farm Innovations Model #4250.

After some quick reading of reviews that indicate, inaccurate gauges, temp spikes, temp drops, huge temp swings, turner motor running hot, I would not spend that amount of money on a foam incubator that has the same flaws as the basic cheap foam models that can be had for less...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom