Styrofoam Incubators Club

What kind of Styrofoam Incubator do you have?

• Hovabator

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • Little Giant--manual controls

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Little Giant--digital controls

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Farm innovators

Votes: 33 24.3%

• Total voters
Pics
We are up to 8 hatched, and 2 more just starting to zip. Which leaves 3 yet to hatch and a 4th that had been under our hen but she suddenly didn't want to do it anymore(she had 2 and she sat them to day 14 when one of the other, heavy, hens smashed one), so it's 2 days behind the others, being at day 16 now.

The LG 9300 does have a bad rap. We've used it and yes, the hydrometer reading is way off and the temp needs to be set higher to get it to be where it actually needs to be. However, for the price, we are having great success. 90 % as a still air unit the first time and currently 22 out of 24 eggs are developing as scheduled on day 7 during the second run. It isn't a set and forget unit but if you want to stay on your toes and learn a lot, it can be done with this unit. The change in temp at night is something to pay attention to.

Last edited:
Is it ok to leave things in the incubator while eggs are hatching? To be more specific I want to do a time lapse and have a koozie in the frame with my company logo on it to make a cool ad video.

10 little quail. 4 eggs left, 3 I think won't hatch and one that today is just day 17, so he may still have a chance, though I think that my mama bird tossed him out b/c he didn't survive for some reason.

Quote:
I pretty much agree about the whole lock down thing. I'm in and out of mine a lot, I hand turn and I definitely candle. I started off the whole incubation process and did stagger hatching from the beginning...lol. I think hatching is like an art form...sort of like anesthesia. The person administering has to be skilled at reading what's going on and adjust for the individual. No two people are the same. There are a lot of variables with people. There can be a lot of variables with the eggs...and no two hens do everything exactly the same. I believe in doing what works for you with incubating and trying things if you think it may be helpful. People shouldn't be afraid to incubate.
I have my very first broodies right now and I'm always watching how they're doing things. Maybe I can learn something...
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom