Styrofoam Incubators Club

What kind of Styrofoam Incubator do you have?

• Hovabator

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • Little Giant--manual controls

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Little Giant--digital controls

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Farm innovators

Votes: 33 24.3%

• Total voters
Pics
Quote:
Hmmm, I'm not sure "Aunt" has quite the same ring to it...
gig.gif

I don't know if it was awesome...it was more desperation at the time I made it...lol. I had predated hens who had laid lots of eggs, I happened upon incubator making on youtube and found myself making an incubator to try to save eggs/replace my hens. The one place that stocked incubators didn't have any in stock at the time...lol.

My incubator is a basic Styrofoam cooler. Unfortunately it's too small for a turner if you like using turners. It uses a wafer thermostat because that's all I could get at that time without ordering one in. Time was a factor because the eggs were 2.5 weeks old when I started building the incubator. I wired it using 2 pigtail sockets which run 2- 25 watt bulbs. I bought a 6 inch $7 fan from Walmart for circulation and voila, that's the main components. The fan is a bit of overkill, but I wanted something quick to use at the time. I'd never wired before and I felt a bit intimidated about sourcing and wiring a computer fan. I believe I may have a cool spot under the fan (I didn't use the area under the fan last year) so that's something I need to determine and fix if needed. Pics are worth a thousand words so here's pics...

This is how I had everything configured last year and up until mid March I only had a couple of hens of laying age so space wasn't a problem.

I always had a false level but I added trays to contain the water to free up space on the white racks so I could use them for eggs instead of pudding cups for humidity. Next time I will use a "new" container under the false floor. I believe using a used container added unnecessary issues with water quality.
I also attached the thermostat permanently to the wall, which freed up more space and made it safer for the eggs.

The fan hangs with hooks and is completely removable for cleanup. The thermostat is screwed to the wall and is removable if needed. The two light sockets are attached with hot glue which has worked really well. Hot glue did not work on my new incubator...lol. I have an 8X10 picture frame glass for a viewing window in the lid. It is siliconed in place around the outer inch of the glass on the inside of the lid. I didn't want hot glue to give away and have the glass fall and break any eggs.

The above pic shows all the equipment I put in my Sterilite incubator. The double bulb adaptor and the extra four bulbs were not needed for my Styrofoam incubator. A digital thermostat with a sensor would be a nice improvement and something I plan to do in the future. I've noticed on here that some fans blow upwards and away from the eggs. Perhaps this would solve any cool spots under my fan? I have a rather large hole behind my fan that allows cold air to be brought in. That also may be my culprit.

If you wish to see any specifics of this incubator, the wiring or whatever...I'd be happy to take additional pics. The above is just what I have on hand.
highfive.gif

Last edited:
Hmmm, I'm not sure "Aunt" has quite the same ring to it...
gig.gif

I don't know if it was awesome...it was more desperation at the time I made it...lol. I had predated hens who had laid lots of eggs, I happened upon incubator making on youtube and found myself making an incubator to try to save eggs/replace my hens. The one place that stocked incubators didn't have any in stock at the time...lol.

My incubator is a basic Styrofoam cooler. Unfortunately it's too small for a turner if you like using turners. It uses a wafer thermostat because that's all I could get at that time without ordering one in. Time was a factor because the eggs were 2.5 weeks old when I started building the incubator. I wired it using 2 pigtail sockets which run 2- 25 watt bulbs. I bought a 6 inch $7 fan from Walmart for circulation and voila, that's the main components. The fan is a bit of overkill, but I wanted something quick to use at the time. I'd never wired before and I felt a bit intimidated about sourcing and wiring a computer fan. I believe I may have a cool spot under the fan (I didn't use the area under the fan last year) so that's something I need to determine and fix if needed. Pics are worth a thousand words so here's pics...

This is how I had everything configured last year and up until mid March I only had a couple of hens of laying age so space wasn't a problem.

I always had a false level but I added trays to contain the water to free up space on the white racks so I could use them for eggs instead of pudding cups for humidity. Next time I will use a "new" container under the false floor. I believe using a used container added unnecessary issues with water quality.
I also attached the thermostat permanently to the wall, which freed up more space and made it safer for the eggs.

The fan hangs with hooks and is completely removable for cleanup. The thermostat is screwed to the wall and is removable if needed. The two light sockets are attached with hot glue which has worked really well. Hot glue did not work on my new incubator...lol. I have an 8X10 picture frame glass for a viewing window in the lid. It is siliconed in place around the outer inch of the glass on the inside of the lid. I didn't want hot glue to give away and have the glass fall and break any eggs.

The above pic shows all the equipment I put in my Sterilite incubator. The double bulb adaptor and the extra four bulbs were not needed for my Styrofoam incubator. A digital thermostat with a sensor would be a nice improvement and something I plan to do in the future. I've noticed on here that some fans blow upwards and away from the eggs. Perhaps this would solve any cool spots under my fan? I have a rather large hole behind my fan that allows cold air to be brought in. That also may be my culprit.

If you wish to see any specifics of this incubator, the wiring or whatever...I'd be happy to take additional pics. The above is just what I have on hand.
highfive.gif
That is sooooo cool. WOW you turned all those eggs by hand--that's dedication! What is your average hatch rate with this incubator? I would love to see how you connected the wafer thermostat to the light bulbs. This has certainly made my decision for me--I'm building an incubator ha! :p Now just to find a bigger piece of land for more chickens
lol.png
barnie.gif

I have been pondering over the hook up of the samething you have just put on this forum. Now I can finish my incubater just in time for lock down. The water heater thermostat says 240 volts thermostat lower, time to put it all together so thank you for posting pictures, it makes it much easier for us grandmas to understand.

Our final 3 originally in the incubator were not alive(one infertile, but the shell was so dark we weren't sure, the other 2 died close to hatch
sad.png
) The one that was under our hen but she rejected after it's sibling got smashed so we put it in the incubator with the others was a good'un..
All are out now, and now we are trying our hand at Turkey eggs we got from a friend. Mixed breed, so no idea what color they will turn out. Hubby wants turkeys so we're trying
roll.png

So my clutch is at about 13 days, and candling at day 11 showed three eggs had quit. :( I'm so bummed! I really didn't expect to be so sad about it... But after the see them moving and growing and then - dead, it's just UGH! Where is the early quitter egg support group?

Last edited:
Well today is day 21 for me and 1 chick hatched
1f44d.png
so far no other movement. I kept an eye on the temp and humidity and couldn't be better so I really hope more survive and hatch this time.

So my clutch is at about 13 days, and candling at day 11 showed three eggs had quit. :( I'm so bummed! I really didn't expect to be so sad about it... But after the see them moving and growing and then - dead, it's just UGH! Where is the early quitter egg support group?

Sorry to hear
1f615.png

Back
Top Bottom