Styrofoam Incubators Club

What kind of Styrofoam Incubator do you have?

• Hovabator

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • Little Giant--manual controls

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Little Giant--digital controls

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Farm innovators

Votes: 33 24.3%

• Total voters
Pics
I have thought about taking apart my styrofoam incubators and painting over the stryofoam with appliance paint inside and out to make them easy to clean. Has anyone tried painting their incubator? The Farm Innovators incubator has a plastic outer shell that actually make me more afraid to clean it because I don't want anything getting trapped between the plastic and the styrofoam. I want to be sure whatever paint I use it will not create toxic fumes.

I have thought about taking apart my styrofoam incubators and painting over the stryofoam with appliance paint inside and out to make them easy to clean. Has anyone tried painting their incubator? The Farm Innovators incubator has a plastic outer shell that actually make me more afraid to clean it because I don't want anything getting trapped between the plastic and the styrofoam. I want to be sure whatever paint I use it will not create toxic fumes.
I've thought about what could be done and there are a few things that concern me like how condensation gathers, the fumes like you mentioned and how hear is retained and so on, If you ever do it let us know how it went

I've thought about what could be done and there are a few things that concern me like how condensation gathers, the fumes like you mentioned and how hear is retained and so on, If you ever do it let us know how it went

I thought about trying it on my hatching incubator first since that is the one that gets messy and the chicks and ducklings are in it for a shorter time (although it runs constantly between cleanings since we do staggered hatched in it). I have dropped the temp and used it as an early brooder too but the chicks peck holes into the styrofoam.

If I was to paint the foam I would explore using white latex based Drylok (basement sealer), I know for a fact once dry and cured it's 'aquarium' safe so in theory it should be perfectly safe for an incubator or brooder as well...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/DRYLOK-1-gal-White-Masonry-Waterproofer-27513/100118662

That looks like a good idea. I was thinking spray paint but it might be easier to paint it on with a brush.

The solvents in most spray paints will dissolve the foam... Plus it would take many, many coats of spray to equal one brushed coat...

Day 17.

17 of 43 confirmed moving and alive. Cracked 5 open 4 days ago and killed 3 late-bloomers by accident.

After 5 major heat spikes and random early morning low temperatures.... These little turds are pretty tough. This is 2 days longer than they've ever made it before. Hoping I don't screw up lockdown.

ALMOST OVER!

Day 1.

New shiny toy--picked it up for $80. Brinsea Octagon 20 Advanced... Unplugged the fan because it is....inordinately loud for some reason....
but otherwise so far, so good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom