Styrofoam Incubators Club

What kind of Styrofoam Incubator do you have?

• Hovabator

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • Little Giant--manual controls

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Little Giant--digital controls

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Farm innovators

Votes: 33 24.3%

• Total voters
Pics
happy morning- the hatch has begun

I don't know how to do the quote thing but you said "I want to get a thermometer we can use to measure the internal egg temperature because that is the target more than the air temperature."
I remember reading that you can get one of those dollar store water weasel kids toys (you know the ones that look like a water balloon tube that slides into itself in your hand) and stick a thermometer probe for a digital thermometer in it and it would simulate the internal temp of the embryos. I don't know how accurate that is but it might be worth a try. I'm only on my second hatch, 5 days in, so I'm far from an expert just passing a long a suggestion ;)

I haven't read all the posts on here. But I have something to add.

I didn't want to buy an egg turner so I got a replacement egg turner motor and had my brother make an egg turner. The motor raised the temp in the bator by about 3 degrees! I don't know if the out of the box turners do that too, but if so it's something to watch for especially when you go into lockdown.

I haven't read all the posts on here. But I have something to add.

I didn't want to buy an egg turner so I got a replacement egg turner motor and had my brother make an egg turner. The motor raised the temp in the bator by about 3 degrees! I don't know if the out of the box turners do that too, but if so it's something to watch for especially when you go into lockdown. 
They do affect the temp a teensy bit yes but in my experience not quite that much. Lockdown is a bit funky here because we check a lot until it's restabalized.

For a fake egg go to Ebay and do a search for '60ml baby bottle' and order up one or two, they take about 10-14 days to arrive if you order from Asia...

You can fill it with plain water or if you are concerned about leaks fill it with surgical lube aka KY Jelly, invert the nipple as in the picture bellow and it become a nice rubber gasket to insert a temp probe or other thermometer into...

You can see mine in the bottom left corner of this picture

And this is a cheap battery operated probe to put in in... There are other option that can also be found on Ebay for less...

http://www.amazon.com/Qooltek-Therm...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_5&smid=A1SDOXXJN37EW9

Back
Top Bottom