Styrofoam Incubators Club

What kind of Styrofoam Incubator do you have?

• Hovabator

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • Little Giant--manual controls

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Little Giant--digital controls

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Farm innovators

Votes: 33 24.3%

• Total voters
Pics

The beak is upside down and there is some dark colored stuff around the bottom half of the hole that is dried up. I am going to assume it got through the egg quite some time ago.

it may need help
the poor little buggar was dead and had been shortly after the pip I think. It's too bad because it was a beauty and looked perfect. I think it bled. I had one hatch right around noon today and it hatched perfectly but is very wobbly and can't really stand too good. It stands for a few seconds and tips over. Gets stuck on its back too. I hope this one makes it. Its a little Easter egger. It's still in the bator and looks great aside from the falling over.

This is incorrect, they do in fact have a very basic thermostat circuit, based around a thermistor... The problem is that the circuit is bare bones and based on the teeter-totter balancing act between the resistance of the dials variable resistor and the thermistor... An action as basic as taking off the lid can ever so slightly turn the dial/variable resistor and then the teeter-totter is whacked... Plus the termistor is inside the electronics housing up top and not actually down by the eggs so it's not in the best place to get the an accurate reading... I don't know if it was this thread or another, but I have suggested removing the circuit board and enlarging the hole for the dial, the shaft on mine was rubbing the foam, thus it's very likely the foam was nudging that dial just a bit here and there...

Now since these foam incubator circuits are made in Asia with a cost driven goal the actual boards will vary by model and production date or what not, but they are all basically the same circuit... If you look closely at the circuit inside you will see the thermistor, it's generally floating on the PC board over a hole to better allow air to flow around it, but being in a housing up top it's still not exactly getting decent air flow, especially in a still air incubator...

Thanks for the correction :) Always learning something new

It's ok to keep the whole unit inside the incubator? The humidity doesn't wreck it?

Thanks for info.
Yes, it's fine to keep the thermometer in the incubator. The display failed on mine after a few hatches, so always keep a trusted analog thermometer in the incubator with it.

Back
Top Bottom