Styrofoam Incubators Club

What kind of Styrofoam Incubator do you have?

• Hovabator

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • Little Giant--manual controls

Votes: 15 11.0%
  • Little Giant--digital controls

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • Farm innovators

Votes: 33 24.3%

• Total voters
Pics
Easter Eggers are not a breed, they just define a non-pure bred chicken that lays colored eggs, some go further and mandate that EE carry the blue egg shell gene others do not...

Beyond that an EE can be a mix of any type of any chicken, consider them a trendy name for barnyard mix, and thus they can have any kind of traits, it all depends on what the breeder tossed into the mix...

Chances are their is some Brahma, Cochin or Marans (or other) in the breeding pool if you have feathered legs...

Last edited:
Cream Legbars don't have feathered feet...

They would be the carrier of the blue egg genetics. The chicks do not resemble Easter Eggers (non-standard or hatchery Ameraucanas) so I am thinking they are out of a Cream Legbar cross as opposed to an Easter Egger cross. Neither Easter Eggers nor Crested Cream Legbars have feathered legs so the cross would be with one of the feather legged varieties of chickens. I was just addressing the green egg color. It could very well be a crossbred hen with a crossbred rooster if they are a backyard mix so there is really no telling what the complete mix could be in that case. The hen that layed the egg was most likely a Crested Cream Legbar cross because of the lack of Araucana type markings on the chicks. The Crested Cream Legbar could be considered an Ameraucana cross but it is a recognized breed.

The hen that layed the egg was most likely a Crested Cream Legbar cross because of the lack of Araucana type markings on the chicks.

I'm not quite sure where you are trying to go... A lot of my barnyard mixed EE lack Araucana markings or looks, the blue egg gene is dominant and thus easy to isolate into birds that look nothing like Araucanas if one chooses, it only takes a few generations to erase most if not all of the Araucana looks if that is your goal...

The Crested Cream Legbar could be considered an Ameraucana cross but it is a recognized breed.

I'm breeding Cream Legbars and have done my homework and know quite a bit about them...

What you just did was put the chicken before the egg...

The Cream Legbar was developed in the UK in the late 1930s and early 1940s

The Ameraucana is an American breed of chicken developed in the 1970s

Thus the Cream Legbar is simply not a cross of a Ameraucana by any imagination as it predates the Ameraucana breed by 30+ years...

The Cream Legbar gets it's blue egg gene from 1 of three Chilean mongrels (aka mutt) hens brought back to the UK in the late 1920s by Mr. Clarence Elliot who gave them to Reginald Punnett who went on to create a blue laying line of birds.... Michael Pease who was working on a Gold Legbar forked off a line and bred his forked Gold Legbar line to Punnett's blue laying line, the result gave birth to the Cream Legbar...

True in evolutionary history one could connect all blue layers to one another at some time, but in the end the Ameraucana and Cream Legbar are simply very distant cousins that share lineage back to some other blue layer, not each other...

I'm not quite sure where you are trying to go... A lot of my barnyard mixed EE lack Araucana markings or looks, the blue egg gene is dominant and thus easy to isolate into birds that look nothing like Araucanas if one chooses, it only takes a few generations to erase most if not all of the Araucana looks if that is your goal...
I'm breeding Cream Legbars and have done my homework and know quite a bit about them...

What you just did was put the chicken before the egg...

The Cream Legbar was developed in the UK in the late 1930s and early 1940s

The Ameraucana is an American breed of chicken developed in the 1970s

Thus the Cream Legbar is simply not a cross of a Ameraucana by any imagination as it predates the Ameraucana breed by 30+ years...

The Cream Legbar gets it's blue egg gene from 1 of three Chilean mongrels (aka mutt) hens brought back to the UK in the late 1920s by Mr. Clarence Elliot who gave them to Reginald Punnett who went on to create a blue laying line of birds.... Michael Pease who was working on a Gold Legbar forked off a line and bred his forked Gold Legbar line to Punnett's blue laying line, the result gave birth to the Cream Legbar...

True in evolutionary history one could connect all blue layers to one another at some time, but in the end the Ameraucana and Cream Legbar are simply very distant cousins that share lineage back to some other blue layer, not each other...

The history I read said the blue egg gene in the Crested Cream Legbar came from the Araucana but it is true they all came from the same distant relatives. What I call Easter Eggers are not as removed as what some call Easter Eggers but I can't change the fact that they have become so crossbred that they are no longer recognizable.

I have a Quechua rooster to bring my own Easter Egger hens back to the Easter Egger of the early 1980's before the various blue egg breeds were recognized in the SOP. I also have two black Orpington hens with him (I have splash roosters and do not need so many blue chicks) so I will be hatching mutt Easter Eggers of my own soon. The chicks pictured do not look Easter Egger to me in any way so I suspect the egg color came from the Crested Cream Legbar but it is not a breed I have chosen to raise myself so I could certainly be wrong.

I don't usually participate in the "what breed is this" conversations due to so much crossbreeding going on in backyard flocks. I probably should not have offered an opinion because my intent was to share an idea and not start a debate.

Last edited:
I was mistaken about Crested Cream Legbars being an Ameraucana cross as what I read says Araucana and I thought it was Ameraucana.

"The Legbar is a rare British autosexing chicken breed. It was created in the early twentieth century by Reginald Crundall Punnett and Michael Pease at the Genetical Institute of Cambridge University.[2] It was created by cross-breeding Barred Plymouth Rock chicken, Leghorns, Cambars, and in the case of Cream Legbars, Araucanas.[3] The Araucana blood in the Cream Legbar is reflected in its crest and blue to blue-green eggs.[4]"

Last edited:
I was mistaken about Crested Cream Legbars being an Ameraucana cross as what I read says Araucana and I thought it was Ameraucana.

The Cream Legbars are again a cousin breed of the Araucana and Ameraucana not a hybrid derivation, I explained this above...

As I stated the Cream Legbar's blue gene comes from a single mongrel/mutt hen from Chile, this mongrel hen is not to be confused with the Araucanas that were later imported into the UK, ironically the early UK imports were not true Araucanas either but a recreation by Dr. Ruben Bustros... True Araucanas are a hybrid of the Colloncas and Quetero chickens created by the Araucana Indians, Dr. Bustros recreated his version of the breed using the same two ancestral breeds as the Indians, and his recreation is what was originally introduced to the world as Araucanas...

At this second meeting of world poultry leaders, Castello (1924) admitted dr. Ruben Bustos, "patriarch of Chilean aviculture" had led him to believe the chickens which Castello had viewed and photographed during the International Poultry Exhibition in Santiago, Chili, in 1914 were native fowl. The truth was, these birds were not native fowl but the product of many years of selective breeding by Dr. Bustos.

"The Legbar is a rare British autosexing chicken breed. It was created in the early twentieth century by Reginald Crundall Punnett and Michael Pease at the Genetical Institute of Cambridge University.[2] It was created by cross-breeding Barred Plymouth Rock chicken, Leghorns, Cambars, and in the case of Cream Legbars, Araucanas.[3] The Araucana blood in the Cream Legbar is reflected in its crest and blue to blue-green eggs.[4]"

Never trust Wikipedia to be correct since anyone can edit, add or subtract from it...

Here is Punnett's own words on the blue gene origin, and that start of his blue egg laying line...

In the summer of 1930 I acquired three Chilean hens through the kindness of Mr. Claud Elliot (sic) who had brought them over direct from Chile. They were evident mongrels at sight, differing widely in plumage colour and structural features. One died soon after arrival, but the two survivors both laid blue eggs. Though it was late in the season I managed to rear a few chicks (5 male and 2 female) from one of the hens, a nondescript yellow, mated with a Gold-Pencilled Hamburgh cock.

And the more correct origins of the Cream Legbar...

Around 1932 the Legbar was the second of these breeds to be created at Cambridge Agricultural Research Department They were from a Brown Leghorn cock (gold sex linked) crossed with a Barred Plymouth Rock hen (silver sex linked) From this cross any progeny without barring were discarded, the remaining were selected for Leghorn type and mated together.

The pale coloured males (carrying two barred genes) and the crele coloured females were kept, and all dark (crele) male chicks were discarded. In order to increase numbers and bloodlines these Gold Legbar males could be crossed back to brown Leghorn females, and from this cross half produced dark crele males which again were culled.
In 1939 Michael S. Pease was trying to improve the productivity of the Gold Legbar by crossing it with high laying White Leghorn. From this crossing there were two off-white pullets. These were kept and bred back to a Gold Legbar male. This mating produced a cockerel which fathered cream coloured chicks where the male and female chicks had noticeably different down colour. These were bred to the line of blue laying hens that Professor Punnett's experimental matings had produced, and in time a crested, blue egg laying, autosexing breed was selected out and named the Crested Cream Legbar - the crest being a the tuft of feathers on the crest of the head behind the comb a feature derived from the South American blood.

So from that we get that Punnett's blue laying line originated from mongrel/mutt Chilean blue egg layers bred to a Gold-Pencilled Hamburgh... Pease took his Gold Lebars that were created from Brown Legbars and Barred Plymouth Rock, from that line Pease bred in some White Leghorn... Then Punnett blue laying line and Pease's new 'Gold Legbar' line were mixed and culled down to what we have today...

The thing to remember is that Arauconas are a specific hybrid of Chilean chickens created by the isolated Araucana Indians, and that not all Chilean chickens are Araucanas... Punnett's own words suggest he used a a Chilean mongrel not an Araucana to obtain the blue gene...

Also there are genetically unique blue laying chicken breeds in China, that are not derived from the Chilean ancestry...

Back
Top Bottom