Styrofoam ingestion?

Secretlyspotted

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 22, 2013
Carrollton GA
I got my baby chicks out of the house today! Wahoo!! They were housed in a dryer box for a brooder and they would fly out and poop everywhere. Not fun times. My husband and I converted an old enclosed trailer (that used to be a recycling collection container) into a grow out pen. It is fabulous!
But..... My hubby enclosed a portion of the trailer with styrofoam panels so they would have a "box" to get in and stay warm at night. And the little stinkers are eating it! They have plenty of food, water, chick grit, a sandbox to dust bathe in, and fresh greens w/ dirt attached to eat.
So my question is- will ingesting some styrofoam hurt them? It would be kinda hard to get the panels out now, but I don't want them to get sick or die. Heck, we've had such good luck! Ordered 15 from MyPetChicken and 15 babies moved to the grow out pen today.

Is there any way you could cover up the Styrofoam? Maybe use some cheap plywood or even cardboard.....I can't imagine eating the Styrofoam would be very good for them.....

Back
Top Bottom