Submit Coop Design Pictures For The BYC.com Site!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got the PC back up and running and am able to post my portable coop pictures. I had already built it prior to the contest, so I don't have all the pictures that would be very good to have if someone wanted to duplicate, but I would be happy to answer any questions.

See my Coop link in the signature below.

Also I had a question for Jim and any others who might want to chime in.

Quote:
Jim,

I made some feeders very similar to the ones you have, and it rained the other day, and they filled with water from the attached base and most of the food got wet. I know that mold is a big concern, so what do you usually do after food gets wet by the rain? Feel free to start a new thread as a response to this. I'll definitely find it.

Thanks!

<edited for spelling errors>

Last edited:
WOW!! What wonderful and innovative coop and run designs! I thought I might be able to steal a design idea or two.
lol.png

I was hoping to see a few "large" coops. Large, as in the 8’ X 40’ X 8’-7’ tall coop and 30’ X 16’ X 8’ tall run that I am starting this coming week.

The 8' X 40' house/coop I am going to frame out and pour a cement floor. I am digging the ditch to run electricity and water to it Tuesday. I will be dividing the 8' X 40' into four 8x10'sections, separated by 2x4's and chicken wire fencing. One section for each of the three breeds I have and plan to buy more of. The fourth section will be for feed storage and my little back yard hatchery. As for the run each breed will have its own 16x10 enclosed run.

Some of you might be thinking that sounds huge! Your right it will be, for a back yard hen house.

I have found with my 10 RIR, 10 Silver Laced Wyandotte, 5 Black Sexlink, and 1 odd ball hens, that lay as many as 2 dozen eggs a day. And after sharing and sell the eggs they produce that I can not keep up with the demand. My family eat 2-3 dozen a week, my wife sells 8-10 a week at work, and I can on a Saturday after noon at the 4-way stop in my one horse town sell 14 dozen in an hour or two.

So, building the larger coop and buying more chickens is my next step.

If anyone is interested I'll be happy to share photos of the building process and finished coop.

ttfn

I don't have pics available yet, but I have made a large cube out of pvc and chicken wire, with a pvc "cradle" base and garbage can for a roosting area. It is both a coop and run all in one. I'm not very handy with a hammer and nails and wanted to do it my self (although hubby did help a little.) It was very easy to make and can be modified in many different ways. Also it can be stationary or used as a tractor.

I'm still waiting on my babies to get here so I'm way ahead of schedule. And I have my "cheep" brooder set up inside also!

txchiknranchers Inquired about the portable coup, particularly the pvc hardware cloth.

It is solid PVC and my rooster loves it! So much so that he started roosting up on top of the run to the new coup that had one row of this hardware cloth instead of going back to his previous safe nesting spot. I ended up making a raised floor for him in his pen out of it and only had to show it to him once and he goes their every evening without fail. I purchased a 3ftx25ft roll (I believe they may have larger) at home depot. I believe lowes has it too. It is pretty strong, however you can cut it easily with a utility or sharp scissors (what I used). I also used an air stapler set fairly low so that the stapler could not cut through the PVC. You do have to pull it pretty tight so that it doesn't sag too bad, and an extra set of hands would be handy (I did it on my own, but wore out my fingers pulling on that stuff). If you can pull and staple prior to cutting as the extra material will make it easier to pull on.

I used the treated deck rail banisters from lowes that were 2x2 and 46 inches long for the main framing. Only 1 buck each.

Quote:
I use play sand for the floor in my coop mixed with DE and rake it out everyday. Pine shavings were starting to accumulate around here seeing as we have a HUGE compost pile thats the size of a mountain from the previous owners. Not to mention as religious as i am about keeping their coop clean it was starting to get a bit expensive for the pine shavings. I use the pine shavings in the nesting boxes and the roost on top of the nesting boxes. Works great and mine dont dust bath in it either. They much rather dig a huge hole somehwere in the yard and dust bath there. Right now their favorite spot is under an old truck parked in the fron yard which im seriously considering taking the topper from the truck and making an additional coop, or figure out a way to add it to the coop we already have. * banties in a 4 by 6 coop and another10 in the garage along with 4 seramas in my house... this place is starting to feel like chicken central. Visions of a chicken village in my backyard are dancing around in my head now after seeing all these awesome coops.

heres mine ----got it from a friend of my DH.Has wire abround three sides and tin for backside.3 nesting boxes inside.
chick001.jpg

chick002.jpg

I have that same shed and this is exactly what I wanted to do, except I have to leave some room for the kids rabbits. Now I have pictures to show to hubby. Does it get hot inside? I was thinking of insulating the shed to help with the heat. How did you cover the rough metal edges in the pop door?

Quote:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom