SUCH a lucky chick!

Animalian

Songster
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Australia
Update PG3, PG4 with photos!

Got a message while at work today that my third chick had hatched. YAY I thought. Until two hours later when I got a message that mumma hen had decided it was chick moving time! The other chicks were born yesterday and the day before, so they'd be ok, but little no.3?

I got home and ran up to meet chick 3. I heard peeping, looked in, two little chicks running around with mum. One lying motionless in the corner. I pick him up, he was limp and cold. I stared at it, stroked it, then noticed it's eyes were shut. Every dead thing I've ever seen has half open eyes. So I gently tried to open its eye and it resisted! moved its head ever so slightly and squinted!!!

I shoved it in my bra, rushed inside and got out a wheat pack, heated it in the microwave and started warming it up!

It was motionless for ages, then it wiggled its head! Then when I took away the heat pack to re-heat it, it PEEPED! a weak peep but a peep none the less!

Since then (about 3hrs) he's been getting better and better, I gave him a little honey water and now he's up and moving and refuses to stay on my lap in his beanie/heat pack nest! he keeps climbing up and snuggling into my neck! He's still a little wobbly though, like any less than a day old chick would be!!

SUCH a lucky little bugger that I got home when I did or I'm pretty certain he's be dead!

I'm planning on keeping him with me this evening to make sure he stays warm and strong, then slipping him under mum again tonight.

Last edited:
He really is lucky! Congrats to you for knowing what to do to save him---I think you're right, he would certainly be dead if you hadn't gotten there when you did.

hugs.gif
love.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
celebrate.gif

This was about half an hour after I found him. He really looked dead.
lucky3.jpg

Feeling much better just before I put him back under mum!
luckybetter.jpg

His older siblings with Mumma. She's doing well with them
teaching.jpg

I just went back after putting him back a few hours ago and he was NEXT to the mumma peeping really loudly... his fuzz and feet were already cold.... she wasn't doing anything about it... Now I'm not sure if I should keep him with her or inside with me. Maybe she's rejecting him. Maybe he's 'damaged' from getting so cold and not seeking her out for heat.... now I'm worried....

Last edited:
I shoved it in my bra, rushed inside and got out a wheat pack, heated it in the microwave and started warming it up!

Apparently one cup of coffee isn't doing it for me this morning. I totally read this as if you heated up the chick in the microwave
barnie.gif
. I'm glad it was just my poor reading comprehension skills.

How's the little chickie doing? Did you bring it inside in a brooder?​

Quote:
Apparently one cup of coffee isn't doing it for me this morning. I totally read this as if you heated up the chick in the microwave
barnie.gif
. I'm glad it was just my poor reading comprehension skills.

How's the little chickie doing? Did you bring it inside in a brooder?

haha I'd have an popcorn chicken if I did that! I just put him back under his mumma... concerned she's rejecting him... she already pushed him out again. he is the youngest. I have no brooder so if I do take him from her I'll be up all night keeping him warm till the shops open!

I've heard people using a sling to carry a young chick around that needs warmth and comfort. Perhaps in a pinch you could do that and sleep with it that way.?

If you have to brood him yourself, get him a buddy. I've done a single chick twice now, and trust me, it'll drive you bananas without a buddy because it will insist on being with you 24/7. Even with a friend it will think you're it's mum but it won't cry for you every time you move out of sight after the first day or two.

Can't wait to hear how it's doing!

Back
Top Bottom