Suggestion for a cedar coop and a ‘wet/muddy’ area?

superdeluxe

Songster
6 Years
Apr 5, 2014
We are looking at our ‘forever’ coop for our girls. Many of the real nice coops are made out of cedar. The only location where we can put the coop is in this wooded area, it rains a ton and the area does not see too much sunlight, so it’s constantly wet/mushy (the ground).

Our girls will be able to free range the rest of the property, which will have sunlight. I’m just trying to think, what can we put on top of the soil, so it doesn’t rot out a cedar coop. Gravel?

Not totally sure how your cedar coop will be. Will it have a floor?? Will the floor be earth, and only the walls will touch ground??
Here are my thoughts. If it will have a floor, then I suggest you raise coop on 8 inch high cinder blocks. Place on perimeter, and seal off any access to underneath.
Earth floor, you have option to also use a cinder block perimeter, or use treated lumber/timbers as bottom plate. Treated lumber lives for 30 years.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

A constantly wet run is an invitation for trouble and disease. Chickens are not intended to have wet feet all the time. You need to solve your drainage problem either by diverting the water or raising the ground level or you won't be able to keep your chickens healthy.

Back
Top Bottom