Suggestion for warm ladies gloves for winter chicken chores

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
I have very small (and frequently very cold) hands and am looking for suggestions for warm work gloves for my chicken chores. I don't want anything knitted, as I found last winter that the shavings got stuck in the knitted fibers, etc.
Anybody have some that they really like to recommend?

I have Raynauds Syndrome, which causes my hands to become very painful if they get cold.

http://www.bing.com/health/article/...?q=raynaud's+syndrome&qpvt=raynaud's+syndrome

Best thing I've found to treat it was recommended to me by a physicians assistant - isotoner gloves (the real ones, not knockoffs). The stretchy material they are made of keeps the blood vessels slightly clamped down, preventing the pain of burst blood vessels.

If it's really cold I put the isotoners on first and then cover them with a pair of deerskin leather gloves I got at the farmer's co-op. I bought the leather ones a tad to big - mediums when I have very small hands - so I could double glove.

Hope this helps.
smile.png

I am not sure about sizes but I have heard Harbor Freight has some warm waterproof work gloves. I haven't checked it out myself yet.

Right now what I am using is some wool gloves that I bought oversized and then washed and dried in the washer so they would shrink and felt a bit. This only works with pure wool and you don't have control over what happens to them, but if you find some cheap it might be worth trying. They are pretty warm, I think, though unfortunately not waterproof.

I'd sure love to hear if anyone has any other source of warm work gloves.

I have small hands & wear a men's size small seirus glove. They are wind & weatherproof. I purchased them @ academy sports for $30-- then found them @ the px for $22!! I love them & have threatened everyone in my house not to touch them.

Also got a hat that is he same brand. It has a built in pc that pulls down, can be worn several ways, as a hat, hat & gator to keep your neck warm or hat & face mask. Nice item for windy days.

I buy Mechanix cold weather gloves for both of us. I like us to have waterproof gloves available in the winter and these allow your hands to be very nimble. Cold is bad, but wet and cold temps gets painful in a hurry. For other times, I usually just look for something like Thinsulate in them.

I have tried gloves from the sporting goods section and they were not nearly as good as my Isotoners. You'll pay a pretty good amount for them, but they are really good about keeping my hands warm. Also, you may want to invest in some hot hands and toasty toes for really, really chilly days when you have to be outside for extended amounts of time. TSC and Wal-Mart carries them.

Also - to make your gloves even more waterproof: Put a plastic grocery bag over your hand and then put your gloves on. It really does work!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I do use isotoners for my regular gloves, but due to their price don't usually wear them out doing chores. I could cover them with another work pair, though and that would save them a bit from wear and tear. Also,I have seen them on sale at our local Target sometimes, so may look for another pair.
big_smile.png

I use lined (kind of a thin fleece) deerskin work gloves, they are very soft, flexible and warm. They are mens gloves but come in small and medium. If you rub them with oil (i have even used olive oil in a pinch) they are almost waterproof.

Oh, this is the thread I've been waiting for. Every year I renew my search for the perfect pair of gloves that will keep my small, cold hands warm. There seem to be very few companies that provide good gloves for women who actually work with their hands and don't just hold ski poles. Can you tell I'm frustrated?? I have a pair of Carhartt women's winter gloves, which have a heavy-duty lining in them and pretty good grip on the palms. The length is good for my short fingers. You won't be picking up any dimes but they're warm. I also got a pair of gloves from Duluth Trading Company last year, heavy, wind- and waterproof, good grip. They're a little long in the fingers for me but I think on most women they would be a good fit. I checked out the Seirus website based on a previous poster and they look like they have some good gloves and liners. I may try liners this year. Isotoners look good but seem too nice for chores, maybe better as a liner. I'll be following everyone's comments and suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom