Suggestions for a First Aid Kit - Updated 8-01-2020

That's all I have on hand. Have had birds for quite some time and only thing ever used other than those basics was asprin, popsicle stick and bandage wrap to treat dislocated hock joint. And those things were in medicine cabinet of my bathroom.

Edit to add bandaids. Use those to make hobble for correction of splayed leg. Again, already in medicine cabinet. So yeah, those first three things are all you need as you have anything odd ball already on hand for humans.

Following as well. I need to get some of these things but will prioritize since that’s going to be a hefty bill when all is said and one.

Any idea of “Top 10” most used or duck-specific items that I should focus on?

You might start by just looking to see what you have on hand that you could put towards a dedicated poultry first aid kit: things like gauze pads, tweezers, small scissors, neosporin, tums, cornstarch, or rubbing alcohol you may already have available. Just pulling things together and putting them in a designated spot will save a lot of time, anxiety, and frustration. (I learned that the hard way!)

In terms of things to buy first, I agree with the earlier responses to your question but would also strongly recommend vet wrap. Super useful stuff for lots of things!

20180725_182816.jpg

Here is my kit, so far!

I’m not sure if anyone has said this but with my turkey pulled this spring I had one case of what I believe to be porosis and in addition to and amp up the protein, I found liquid vitamin B complex for poultry could be a lifesaver her suggestions from this site.

I haven't read the whole list so someone may have mentioned this, Stockholm Hoof Tar.
This stuff has been a real lifesaver.
It's very messy. Use for open wounds. Slap lots on and press it into the wound.
Particularly good for spurs broken off at leg which bleed profusely, weasel bites in the bum, common here, and for scaly leg mite (legs only, care needed for feet because the toes need to move)

Back
Top Bottom