Suggestions for a First Aid Kit - Updated 8-01-2020

Um, newbie to chickens. Do we actually need everything that has been listed?
No you don't need everything listed, what's in this thread are just suggestions of what can be used, what others have found they have had a need for, etc.

Over time, you may accumulate some of the things suggested here as you find you need them, but I would not necessarily go out a buy a bunch of stuff.

A few things I've found that I do use and/or keep on hand and it's very basic:
  • Triple antibiotic ointment (you can pick up small tubes at the Dollar Tree for $1.00!)
  • Dedicated dish pan - comes in handy to wash legs/feet or wash a bottom (Again, you can find these at WalMart, Dollar General - pick one up when your budget allows)
  • Blu Kote I have used it, but can live without it.
  • Corid - I always have that when I have chicks.
  • Poultry Vitamins - there are lots of those on the market - Poultry Cell or Poultry Nutri-Drench - either would be good to have.
  • A PLAN!!! This is probably one of the most important things - plan on what you will do with the chicken if it's sick/injured. Is there a way to separate (Dog Kennel, large tote, separate housing, etc.). I prefer to keep my birds near the flock if at all possible. Sometimes one may need extra care and circumstances require them to be brought in, but having a way to leave them with/near the flock protected is usually best.

• A PLAN!!! This is probably one of the most important things - plan on what you will do with the chicken if it's sick/injured. Is there a way to separate (Dog Kennel, large tote, separate housing, etc.). I prefer to keep my birds near the flock if at all possible. Sometimes one may need extra care and circumstances require them to be brought in, but having a way to leave them with/near the flock protected is usually best.

“A PLAN!!!” 100% this! The dog crate, dish pan, and old towels (do you want to wrap a louse or mite infested chicken in your bath sheet? Nope!) are essential to me now. I wish I had the flexibility of a wire one, (I’ve got a giant plastic one) and I’ve made a wire box out of scrap wood and hardware cloth to compensate, but when I find a wire one at a garage sale or thrift store I’m snapping it up! (Remember you don’t always have to buy new either for some of these items)

The plan is #1 though... you don’t want to have to trap your rooster in a milk crate while you bang up a hardware cloth box for integrating him into his new flock on the fly. Took me about an hour, poor miserable chicken!

Back
Top Bottom