Suggestions for a VERY muddy run?

I had similar situation- I am in DownEast Maine. Wood pellets from Tractor Supply work CRAZY well!! President of Chickenlandia has a Youtube video on this, she is in Pacific Northwest- Rainnny! Just use a large cup to scoop and spread the pellets on/through-out the wet areas and watch them work. (kind of like salt over ice)
...And another lady- who does an 'I' cut along the surface (laying flat on the ground) and pours apprx 3 gallons of water into it to fully expand all the pellets, then spreads it all through inside of her coop. (Another idea.)
Inexpensive, super effective. Even creates a new base floor, adding to the existing ground layer of the run. Love it! It looks like bigger food pellets and I was concerned that my Chickens and Ducks would confuse the WP with the feed pellets.... but they don't. Saw a few pick some up and then drop it out of their mouths- there must be taste that they pick up and know it isn't food. Sounds silly, I find it hard to believe they pick up flavors, but they do. Can time the spread of the pellets to after they have been put-up for night, or are out running around.

Good luck!
Heidi
Hello from Downeast Maine! I wonder if we're neighbors? :)
I agree, the pellets from Tractor Supply are my secret weapon for mud. I have ducks as well as chickens too, so the battle against mud is never-ending.

After many years of trial and error, I've found traction sand (pebble/sand mixture) to be the answer to keeping my run from becoming a muddy, stinky, mess - it also provides all of the grit my chickens will ever need (killing 2 birds with one stone so to speak.). I rake dolomite lime into it every so often to freshen it and kill off any parasites.

I live in Northern Maine and have been away on vacation for 9 days, when I left the ground was frozen solid, but spring appears to have sprung while I was gone, resulting in my run being EXTREMELY muddy. The thaw has also thawed the feces, and now it's a mucky mess! Any suggestions on what I can put down to prevent my 6 hens from walking through the mix of mud and poo and becoming sick?

P.S. Their run is 5'x15'.
Pine pellets from tractor supply. Advertised for use with horses but safe for chickens. Works well to absorb water and cost efficient. About $8 for a 40 pound bag.

Last edited:
To those of you that are having this issue, is it a covered run or an uncovered run? We're building a covered run, and I'm concerned that it won't be enough. It rains a ton here, and I wonder if the surrounding area puddling up is enough to make the run itself muddy.

I live in Northern Maine and have been away on vacation for 9 days, when I left the ground was frozen solid, but spring appears to have sprung while I was gone, resulting in my run being EXTREMELY muddy. The thaw has also thawed the feces, and now it's a mucky mess! Any suggestions on what I can put down to prevent my 6 hens from walking through the mix of mud and poo and becoming sick?

You c

Sorry i hit the post button on accident….
You could buy pelleted pine bedding. It starts out as pellets but as it absorbs moisture it turns into a saw dust consistency. My chickens love it and it keeps things fresh and dry. It’s easy to turn over. A little bit goes a long way too.

Back
Top Bottom