Suggestions for Large Brooder with Pictures

Jess_C_in_the_505

In the Brooder
May 17, 2023
Hello all! I am new to raising chickens and to BackYard Chickens and I am hoping you all can help me with my brooder. I am so very excited to be getting 6 beautiful girls on May 25th. We just started remodeling one of our bathrooms but everything was put on hold because the bathtub is on back order for 12 weeks so I thought this is the perfect spot for the brooder. I built a very sturdy 4' x 4' brooder for the girls to grow in. I got it all set up and ready for their arrival however, after looking at it all complete I wondering if it is too large for 1-2 week old chicks and I am having trouble maintaining a consistent 95 degree heat. I purchased No Light Heat Lamps to heat the brooder and I can lower the lamp or add a second but my husband suggested we add a piece of plywood and the brooder can grow with the girls. I was hoping I could get your suggestions or ideas on what I can do to ensure the brooder is ready and comfortable for the girls. Any suggestions are welcomed! Thank you for the help!

Attachments

• Added Plywood to make smaller.jpg
    Added Plywood to make smaller.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Can move as they grow.jpg
    Can move as they grow.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Full Brooder.jpg
    Full Brooder.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 26
Couple things. No it's not too large for 6 chicks that age

I am having trouble maintaining a consistent 95 degree heat. I purchased No Light Heat Lamps to heat the brooder and I can lower the lamp or add a second
95F is too hot for chicks that age. 85-90 is really about as hot as it should get. And you only want heat in one part of the brooder, do not heat the entire area, chicks need to be able to escape heat and cool down.

It's good to get an initial temp to make sure you are in the ball park, then just pay attention to the behaviors of the chicks. Don't get too hung up on temps.

But with a nice big brooder like that, you shouldn't have any trouble as the other posters have said with chicks regulating their own temps.

Back
Top Bottom