Suggestions for run in very uneven ground area

Dancing

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 5, 2009
Prescott, KS
Where we are building the coop/run, the ground is VERY uneven. This poses a few problems with the run. Hubby wanted to build a moveable run but that isn't going to work as it won't sit right (in any of the places he talks about moving it to). So, my suggestion was to build the run to where there are actually 4 sections. The main one and three secondary ones that are connected by gates to the main one. That way we can rotate each of the secondary areas to allow the grass to recover/regrow.

My question is, what is going to be the best way to build these with the ground so uneven? I had wanted a wood framed run (top rails, bottom rails etc) but that just isn't going to be posible.

Any suggestions? I have tons of metal T posts but I HATE those things, they are so ugly. Oh, and we have an almost endless supply of hedge posts of all lengths and diameters (we have about 40 acres covered with hedge trees) but digging post holes is an almost impossible chore because of the "rock ledge" our property is on. We dig down about 6-12 inches and hit HUGE rocks.

Last edited:
Frankly it sounds like your biggest problem isn't unevenness, it's inability to dig postholes.

Which is a significant problem.

I'd suggest building strongly wood-framed panels, or using large chainlink 'kennel panels', braced across the corners where 2 panels meeet so that the assembly can't fold together and is more or less self-supporting. (This will be ok up to maybe 20' of length - beyond that they will develop a strong tendency to topple unless braced with well-set run posts or additional right angles thrown into the layout purely for bracing purposes)

Dig til you get a horizontal-plumb-level place for the panels to sit - this may require 'stairstepping' two or more consecutive panels down a slope. Then, to further anchor them vs wind etc and to fill the gaps underneath 'em, strongly wire on some 1x1 or 2x4" welded wire (heavy gauge) that will run downwards to meet the lowest part of the ground and then bend outwards to form an apron on, or shallowly below, the surface of the ground. Make sure the apron wire is well weighted down or pegged down, especially the edge of it.

Does that make any sense?

Good luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom